r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many miles do you have on your tires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many miles do you have on your tires?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:02pm
Our MPG is 2-1/2 years old, and the original tires have approximately 7,000 miles on them. We are planning a a couple of camping trips that will add another 1,000 miles, then another 4,000 mile trip to SD.

So, I'm wondering how many miles tires on average I can expect out of the original tires, and if I should put new tires on before the long SD trip.

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: Just read this on camping.com, and it answers my question:
"Believe it or not, trailer tires are designed to last 3-5 years or 5,000-12,000 miles and are not designed to wear out. After a mere 3 years – traveling or garaged – approximately one-third of your tire’s strength is gone."

For peace of mind, I'm going to order up a new pair of tires!
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:56pm
Which tires do you have? Are there any external signs of weakness? How is the tread?

That statement seems way too general. The tires on my pod look new even though they're two years old and I have no intention of replacing them any time soon.
Alex&Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 1:43pm
We have about 9,000 - 10000 miles on our 14 month old rpod. (Multiple trips to NC and one round trip to AZ this year as well as a few "local" trips in VA, MD, PA, WV, OH)

The tires look good as new. I'm thinking I can get 3 years out of them at this rate. ??
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177, 2006 Toyota Tundra
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 8:36am
We have about 20K on our OEM tires. We're about to get them replaced in a few weeks.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

We have about 20K on our OEM tires. We're about to get them replaced in a few weeks.

Wow, from what I've been reading, isn't 20K miles pushing it? How old are they?
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by marc515 marc515 wrote:

from what I've been reading, isn't 20K miles pushing it?

What have you been reading? Can you share it with us so we can weigh in? You still haven't mentioned which tires you have. Our's came with 15" Mudstar off-road tires which certainly aren't "trailer tires". If your article is specifically about "ST" type tires then it wouldn't apply. Depending on which tires you have it may or may not apply to you.
HerbL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HerbL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 11:09am
JUST MY OPINION - i read the article quoting 5-12 thousand miles and 3 to 5 yrs before replacing the tires. We replaced our original tires at about 30,000 miles and about 2 years use, just because we take long trips and I was somewhat worried about the quality of the original tires (we had no problems with these tires). The new tires we purchased are Maxxis brand which seem to have good ratings. We now have close to 20,000 miles on these and will replace in another couple of years. I think age is a bigger factor that miles traveled. I cannot believe that decent ST tires can only go 5 -12 thousand miles, unless they are over weighted by a heavy trailer or under inflated or abused in some way.
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by bhamster bhamster wrote:

from what I've been reading, isn't 20K miles pushing it?

What have you been reading? Can you share it with us so we can weigh in? You still haven't mentioned which tires you have. Our's came with 15" Mudstar off-road tires which certainly aren't "trailer tires". If your article is specifically about "ST" type tires then it wouldn't apply. Depending on which tires you have it may or may not apply to you.

I shared this in my post above:  Just read this on camping.com, and it answers my question:
"Believe it or not, trailer tires are designed to last 3-5 years or 5,000-12,000 miles and are not designed to wear out. After a mere 3 years – traveling or garaged – approximately one-third of your tire’s strength is gone."

The article was referring to ST tires.

Our MPG came with 15" Towmax "ST" tires.
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:07pm

Our MPG came with 15" Towmax "ST" tires.

Those tires are guaranteed for 5 years from date of manufacture, 4 years from date of purchase, or until 2/32" of tread are remaining (whichever comes first):

bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:09pm

I shared this in my post above

I meant the whole article... but I found it. Here's the article for anyone else who is curious:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic