r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

177 MODS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 177 MODS
    Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 11:44pm
  First let me qualify many of my mods.  My wife, myself, and the Maltese are the only occupants.  No second bed is needed.  What was needed was some privacy in the bunk, a reading lamp, and drapes on the window so that the pillow wasn't dueling with the blinds.  Wife made the privacy curtain and drapes.  Both were hung with spring rods as another podder recently documented.
  My wife's favorite addon is this popup shelf which she uses to cook and do dishes.
 I haven't mastered cramming a 1 meg pic into a 500k frame, so use your imagination.  Lowe's sells a bookcase storage solution consisting of two side uprights and cross shelves, all made of wood and nicely finished.  The baskets are included in the set and fit perfectly on the shelves, dropped behind notches.  One upright side piece fits, without cutting, across the pod above the table and forward of the lamps, no rewiring.  By removing the valances (2 screws) above the windows, you can screw 4 L brackets directly into the aluminum square tubing,  above the windows, making a solid shelf mount. 
.  The valances are then reattached in their original places.  The baskets hold enough clothing for 2 of us for a week, plus groceries, etc.  No, we have yet to bump our heads. 
   The second upright I cut into 5 pieces and dowelled these together into a unit that sits on the back side of the table.  It holds three more baskets.  It locks into two holes drilled through the back of the table, and can be lifted out and stored in the bunk when company comes.  It, of course, matches the shelving above.  I couldn't live with the rickety table legs, and didn't need a collapsible table, so I used 1 1/2" aluminum tubing and had a three legged table welded up.  The two rear legs fit tightly between the settees and are screwed to them.  It is very sturdy and lighter than the original legs.  Under table drawers and baskets afford more storage and the electric heater hangs under a bin I made across the back, between the legs.
This is the bumper I tried to describe in another of my posts.
 I joined the white and black water drains, as described in someone elses post.  I love it. Thank you for the plans. 
I cut the original drain tubing holder in half and, after adding a piece of pvc in the middle, I mounted it close to the drain for convient access.  This was described in another of my posts.
Retired: Been there. Done that. Can't remember. And loving every minute.

"TOAD ALONG"

177 pod   F150 v6 tow C-Dory 22 boat
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:25pm
Anchor....great ideas!  Thanks for sharing!

X
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:06am
You've managed to create a lot of storage in your pod - good looking and easy to access too. I'm particularly impressed by your bumper. I wish all pods came with bumpers. Our poor pod has a dent in back due to an encounter with a tree in a campground.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:49pm
Love the storage idea...searched Lowe's came up empty.  You wouldn't happen to have the make, model or any details...would you?

Thanks.

X
anchorout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 2:31am
Lowe's closet storage, Allen and Roth, 6 ft shelf (this will be a loose fit across the pod but the L brackets will reach on both sides and make for a sturdy shelf).  They have other sizes of the same style for other matching projects.  I could not find the baskets on line, but my store had them in the same area as the shelves.  If they have dropped them from inventor, Hobby Lobby or Ikea should have a selection.   We bought the table top baskets at Hobby Lobby.  Good luck.
Retired: Been there. Done that. Can't remember. And loving every minute.

"TOAD ALONG"

177 pod   F150 v6 tow C-Dory 22 boat
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 8:17pm
Thanks Anchor.  Again, great idea and ai like the look.

X
globetrotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote globetrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 4:16pm
Anchor,

These are great modifications!.  I have checked and Lowes still carries the shelving and baskets.  When I get my new 177 this week, this will be my first project.  Thanks!
2014 Rpod 177, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab edition.   2 Goldens.    Home base Whitehall Montana.
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 5:55pm
Great mod, Anchorout. I bought the shelf from Lowes a few months ago and now am waiting for the temperatures to get into the 40 F range to finish the installation (It's -14F now with a 45 mph wind).  I have several questions:

1. How far forward (in inches) of the dining area lights did you position the back end of the Lowes shelf? I am concerned about not interfering with the lights ... and I am OCD when it comes to these matters. Confused

2. Am I correct to assume that you had to drill new holes for the L bracket screws once you removed the valence?

3. I notice that in your photograph the long horizontal support on the shelf is flipped so it is on the top rather than on the bottom as per the Lowe's instructions.  Is that so and, if so, why did you do it that way?

The bumper idea is fantastic.  It would be great if you could post a diagram of the construction and measurements so it can be readily replicated. - including the size the tube steel that you appear to be using  I don't have a welding outfit so I don't want to make repeated trips to my favorite smithy .... who can be really crabby when I don't line out things precisely for him.

Finally, thanks for mentioning your source for the baskets.  I've been looking for them online for some time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote globetrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:30pm
we were wondering the same thing...  what size L brackets too...   love this set up...

2014 Rpod 177, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab edition.   2 Goldens.    Home base Whitehall Montana.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote globetrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:48pm
Also,  you say you screwed the angle brace into the "square aluminum tubing above the window".  Are you talking about the brown metal frame surrounding the window?  I know you posted this Mod over a year ago.  Hope you are still around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic