r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

177 MODS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote globetrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 2:52pm
Went ahead and installed  mine.  I ended up resting the angle bracket on the top lip of brown metal frame
surrounding the window and placing the first screw near that metal frame.  This is because there is wood framing close to the top of the window.  Therefor this first screw is especially secure.  The top screw simply is into the side wall.  I positioned the shelf as close to the front of the table as possible.  This allowed more light on the table surface from the front two wall lights.  It also seemed much less claustrophobic. 
2014 Rpod 177, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab edition.   2 Goldens.    Home base Whitehall Montana.
anchorout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 9:42pm
There is a picture of the sidewalls being made at the factory, somewhere in the forum. By those pictures you can see that square tubing runs around each window. I used self tapping metal screws directly into these aluminum frames. Super strong. The valances mount back in their original positions. The L brackets need to be long enough to span the gap between the wall and the horizontal shelf, as the shelf is a bit short and does not reach entirely across. The shelf is mounted with the "lip" up. This captures the baskets and keeps them secure, without any need for bungies or other latches. Hope this answers all questions. We are very happy with the convenience of this arrangement and use the pod monthly.
Retired: Been there. Done that. Can't remember. And loving every minute.

"TOAD ALONG"

177 pod   F150 v6 tow C-Dory 22 boat
globetrotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote globetrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 9:13am
Thanks for your reply.  Maybe what I thought was wood framing close to the top of the window was actually the square tubing you describe.   My installation feels very secure.  I can't tell you how grateful we are for your extremely useful modification.  An easy, inexpensive  solution to the 177's storage deficiency.   We are just waiting the arrival of our wicker baskets...8 inch high.   Thanks again!
2014 Rpod 177, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab edition.   2 Goldens.    Home base Whitehall Montana.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic