r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water heater question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by wallawallaron wallawallaron wrote:

Rollinstone,

If you can why not come by the RPOD get together  at Seaside Oregon this month and we can show you all the switches and valves you have questions about.

Don't be shy about going back to your dealer and asking them to show you how to do anything,thats what they are there for.

Just my two cents worth.

WWRBeer

Unfortunately, bought the Rollin' Pod after plans have already been made during that time.

As for the dealer...I bought my Pod near Portland, Oregon...I live in Seattle...3 hours away. Local dealer couldn't/wouldn't beat the Portland dealer, so I went south. I'm not sure how the local dealer would feel with me showing up asking for help...Censored
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 1:29pm
WinkI believe that the "inconvenience' of having the electric heater switch mounted on the 'outside'of the WH is so that you have to know that you are going to active the switch!  It would be very easy to forget that the WH is empty and flip both switches...and immediately burn out the WH.  My WH came with the electric switch shut off and a spring clip running through it.  I had to pull the clip out before flipping the switch.  I used an indelible felt pen to print a warning next to the switch: "WATER IN THE WH?" Sometimes I am rushed getting ready for our first outing of the season...more than once I was glad I had put the warning on the WH.
tsunami
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 2:21pm
Might want to hang a small ribbon like on JETS "remove before flight" on the water heater door.

Just a thought.

WWR
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

It sure would be more convenient if the WH electrical switch was located next to the WH propane switch. I think someone here has done that mod on their rpod.

BTW, for anyone looking for the switch in the WH access compartment, it's not always easy to find. It's not right out there in front where you can see it easily. It's located towards the back. Keep looking, you'll find it <g>.

-- Steve

Steve, it is a simple mod to add a switch inside the pod.  There was a thread about it, but the switch in the mod did not have an "on" indicator light.  Here is a link to the switch with indicator light that I ordered. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160974226161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 10:39am
Before I turn on the hot water heater, I turn on both taps in the sink until I stop hearing air being purged. Then I turn off the cold water and leave the hot water running until again I hear no air in the lines. You will hear a spitting sound for a few minutes. When that spitting stops, I figure it is safe. So far I have made it through 1.5 seasons and about 15 trips without burning out the element. Turning off the hot water heater is the first thing I do as we prepare to break down. You will have hot water for hours after you do that. 
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 6:23pm
As for the person who moves the whole mattress over to access the WH bypass valves, there are two easy ways to deal with that.   Some cut the board under the mattress and install hinges on a part of it.   What I prefer is to cut a hole in the board just large enough to get my hand through it.   Good luck either way.   Tomcamper
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 7:13pm
Thanks, Tom...that'll make it a little easier just opening a small trap door instead of removing the whole plywood panel and screws, but will still have to remove the mattress...which is the real PITA.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Time2Travel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time2Travel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:38pm
We also have a 2014 178 and have just finished the winterizing. I discovered that I can access the water heater by-pass valves by sliding into the rear storage area from the park side (entry door side) of the 178. That door is just enough higher so that I can slide in and turn to face the access panel to the water heater by-pass valves. You can easily reach all three valves this way. The smaller storage door nearest the water heater doesn't allow enough access to reach the valves. I should add, I am 5' 9" and 156 lbs. This may not be an option for everyone.
2014 rPod178
2013Tacoma w/tow pkg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic