r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We're on shore power and having issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFFandJEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We're on shore power and having issues
    Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 11:33am
This is our first time out. We're loving our new 177 and everything has gone great until this morning.
We have electrical hookups and the appliances (TV, COFEE POT, ETC.) have been working flawlessly until this morning. After making a pot of coffe, Jen and I sat down to enjoy a game of backgammon. I turned on one one of the overhead lights and noticed that it seemed a bit dim. I switched 2 more lights on and the lights became more dim as we switch on more lights. We heard a cherp sound and noticed that the refrigerator power was out. I went to the shore power breaker panel and cycled the breaker switch off and then back on even though the breaker had not tripped. 

I went back inside the r pod and the refrigerator power was still out. A minute or so later it came back on, but the dome lights are still dim and if I turn more than one light they begin to slowly dim to the point of fading almost completely out. 

As a note, when the power to the refrigerator shut off and the lights faded out the CD player was on and working and the clock on the microwave stayed on. Of course the cd player and microwave clock shut off when I cycled the outside break, but the came back on instantly.

It's strange, it's as if the lights are now running on a low battery which is discharging as we turn more of them on, but everything else is running on electrical shore power.

Any ides on what's going on here? Thanks in advance for your help.
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 11:51am
Greetings,
Anyone else in the park having same issue?
Can u run on battery power?

Turn of breaker at main power un plug from power ped. Un plug from coach and re attach power cord to pod might be loose connection. check all fuses in coach. After all has been checked then turn main power back on at power ped. and see if that helps.
Good luck let us know what is happing.
WWR

WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 12:03pm
If the above doesn't work, perhaps the problem is at your power pad. You could try "wiggling" your power plug where it connects to the power source while someone inside the pod watches to see if the lights get brighter and the fridge comes back on. If that happens, there may be a bad/loose connection at the pad's receptacle and you should just ask for a new site to move your pod to.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 12:38pm
The lights are on the 12v side. What mode are you running the fridge in? 12v, gas, or 120v? Even if your power at the pole just went out, your 12v stuff should continue to work fine for some time..

What is the status of your breakers and fuses in the trailer? It sounds as if your converter/charger is not doing it's job.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
JEFFandJEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFFandJEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 12:49pm
I'm running the fridge on 120v

If I switch to battery on the fridge the battery indicator on the fridge Flashes as well as the fridge red warning sign red flashing light

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFFandJEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 12:51pm
I never lost 120v power to the other appliance, tv, coffee maker etc.

It's as if the appliances are running on 120, but the lights are running on 12 V which is draining the battery.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFFandJEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

The lights are on the 12v side. What mode are you running the fridge in? 12v, gas, or 120v? Even if your power at the pole just went out, your 12v stuff should continue to work fine for some time..

What is the status of your breakers and fuses in the trailer? It sounds as if your inverter/charger is not doing it's job.

None of the breakers tripped. I think you're right about the inverter possibly not doing its job 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFFandJEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 1:14pm
Just tried the slide out switch and its not working. I hear the slide out motor engage as it' running on a drained battery and then it quiet and no slide out movement. I hook the power cable up to my truck and the slide out works. 

All of the internal electrical plugs are working. Does the slide out run on the 12v side. Very confusing
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 1:33pm
OK, I agree. Sounds like a inverter/charger problem.

One thing you might try in order to make sure it's not a problem with your electrical supply post is to plug in at another site's post if your cord will reach. Or, try it on your home system when you get back. 

If your slide is stuck in the out position, you can bring it back in manually by accessing the mechanism behind the lower panels under the kitchen counter. Or, I assume you could bring it back in by connecting to your car and letting your car battery do the job. That might charge your pod battery as well but I'm not sure if that would work if your inverter/charger is on the fritz. Someone with more knowledge than me (that would be most anyone <LOL>) can chime in on that.

It's a bummer having problems like that when you're trying to have an enjoyable trip.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFFandJEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

OK, I agree. Sounds like a inverter/charger problem.

One thing you might try in order to make sure it's not a problem with your electrical supply post is to plug in at another site's post if your cord will reach. Or, try it on your home system when you get back. 

If your slide is stuck in the out position, you can bring it back in manually by accessing the mechanism behind the lower panels under the kitchen counter. Or, I assume you could bring it back in by connecting to your car and letting your car battery do the job. That might charge your pod battery as well but I'm not sure if that would work if your inverter/charger is on the fritz. Someone with more knowledge than me (that would be most anyone <LOL>) can chime in on that.

It's a bummer having problems like that when you're trying to have an enjoyable trip.

-- Steve

I connected to my truck and the slide works. All of the other devices in the our pod that require 120 V are working fine. Now the LP gas alarm is chirping and I don't have the tank turned on. The lp gas hose isn't even attached to the lp tank Ouch

Our first time out...bummer

We are going for an afternoon bike ride. I'll check back in later. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic