r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#1 Need to Know

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #1 Need to Know
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 4:40pm
The first time I saw an r-pod, I said, "I want that"--in a tone somewhat akin to what you might hear from a 5-year-old.

Now, three years later, I actually have my very own 2013 r-pod nestled, somewhat crookedly, in my driveway.

I brought her home yesterday. Spent an hour or two backing the pod into my driveway--success, no dents or scratches! Today has been devoted to walking around the pod, casting admiring glances her way, and imagining the future we will have together.

But I am a novice. The pod was purchased in expectation of my retirement adventures--adventures that really won't begin until next year. This summer is practice.

So, pod owners, help me out. What's the number one thing I need to know, understand or do, as my pod (I call her Whimsy) and I get to know each other?

Thanks in advance,

Zade

For what it's worth: the Pod is Whimsy and the towing vehicle, a 2006 Mitsubishi Raider pickup, is named BeWaba (short for "I'm really nothing more than a Big Boy Wanna Be":)
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:06pm
Congratulations on your new pod.

First go through the FAQ section (under "maintenance") in this message board. A lot of good information there.

I would say the most important thing is to have a checklist before you hook up and tow. At first it might be written but will become a mental checklist. Too many things can go wrong by not hitching up correctly.

And be aware that everyone on this board is willing to help you by sharing their experiences. Between us we've made every mistake that can be made and a lot of lessons have been learned the hard way.

Whimsy is an excellent name for a pod.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:10pm
There are a couple good apps for camping, checklists and campground info stuff...

EDIT.. OH, and, WELCOME!!!

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:11pm
I made myself a list like that and I used it faithfully.  And you can glance at the list and say "yup, I did that" but you're remembering the time before so before pulling out, get the list and do a walk thru / walk around.  Even though I used it last year, (my first year), I used it the first time I went out this year....

I would also say to go somewhere close and camp before thinking about mods, etc.  Get a feel for what you like and how you want to organize.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:13pm
No shame in spending the weekend at Camp Driveway..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:19pm
#1 thing is read the forums and reread.  Great info in them to help you.

Congrats and enjoy!

X
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 8:43am
Congratulations.  All above, good advice.  Before your first trip, replace the mattress with a real one.  After that read the forums.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 8:48am
WELCOME! to the forum and to the family. There are lots of helpful people here and TONS of information. so read away and make plans for all the things you are going to do. I think the number one thing is relax and enjoy. You are never alone and no question is too small and no mod is too big. 
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
anchorout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 12:50am
The only problem I had when I got "Toad Along" was semi hot water on shore power.  The hot water heater was in bypass position.  All else has been rosey.
Retired: Been there. Done that. Can't remember. And loving every minute.

"TOAD ALONG"

177 pod   F150 v6 tow C-Dory 22 boat
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 1:17pm
Only because I haven't seen anyone say this lately on threads and it is a pretty important thing.

CHOCKS --  First thing on, last thing off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic