r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping Recipes and Food Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simplest Best Beef Jerky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thredbende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simplest Best Beef Jerky
    Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:06pm
My dehydrator is making beef jerky for our 2 week trip.  (Boo hoo, my hunter friends didn't give me a deer this year!) My recipe has a short ingredient list: beef eye of round roast.  Experimentation with lots of different seasonings led me to discover I tired of salty, weird variations and am now back to the most austere but not cloying dried beef.  I cut it in half length wise with the grain to make bacon sized jerky.  Then cut the halves across the grain less than 1/4 inch pushing the slab flat with your non dominant hand.  Lay the meat in the dehydrator and let her rip as much as a day until it snaps (when cooked, let a piece cool to room temp before judging since warm jerky still bends) with sharp jagged edges.
  Without a dehydrator, use your oven racks.  Because there is no marinade in this, it won't drip.  Cover your oven racks with cake racks, or weave cotton string back and forth over the racks. Avoid the edge wires that ride on the oven walls.  Put your oven on its lowest possible heat setting, then prop the door open with a wooden spoon near the hinge.
  When the jerky is done, it tastes like the heel of crusty roast beef.  In worst case heat and humidity, store it in the frig or freezer and only take a day's supply in the tow vehicle. You can crumble the jerky into SOS, but that is another story... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic