r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:29am
My pod has been done winterization by a local dealer.

They told me 4) and 5) different. Keep the plug on the water heater and both low point drains open over the winter. Is this true?

2010 r-pod172
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 7:11am
"5) Re-insert the plug and close both low-point drains."

You are filling the lines with antifreeze, so you must close the drains. 

You CAN drain the water heater without removing the plug - which some do between trips - but you need to check the anode once per year (if you bought a 'pod this year, you can wait until next fall) so this is the perfect time to do it.  Then reinsert to prevent rust on the threads and critters in the tank.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
GoTak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 7:24am
Thanks; I will close the lowpoint drains. As I understand, Antifreeze has been filled in lines from water pump to sink, shower and toilet. Not to lowpoint drains. If I keep the lowpoint drains open, does the antifreeze leak?

outbound says "Stuff a rag in the hole for the winter." Should I reinsert the rod or stuff a rag?

It is -8C here today with SNOW...
2010 r-pod172
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:21pm
The lowpoint drains are just an additional section of PEX (the plastic tubing) attached to the water lines.  Think of them like the outside water faucet on your house - and in fact in many campers they come with valves on them.  Once you flush antifreeze through the system there will be antifreeze in the low point drains.

Reinsert the anode plug to prevent rust from forming on the threads.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
Saskpodders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskpodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 5:07pm
I can vouch for joe&carol suggestion of the extra step in the winterization list - depressurize the system cause if you don't, it gets wet quickly.
Saskpodders - '10 RP171
06 Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8
"Land of Living Skies"
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by GoTak GoTak wrote:

outbound says "Stuff a rag in the hole for the winter." Should I reinsert the rod or stuff a rag?

Although the dealer told me to stuff a rag in, I think that we should follow techntrek's advice and screw it back in.  I've revised my earlier post.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
GoTak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoTak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 6:38pm
I still cannot understand how low point drains works. Why they are there? When water comes through the low point drains, where is it from? Hot Water Heater? Fresh water tank? I don't think they are GREY... I have no idea how they work.

I Google about "RV low point drains", all results talk about only winterization.

Thanks;
2010 r-pod172
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 7:02pm

The low point drains are part of the fresh water system on trailers and rv's.    The only purpose of the drains is to allow you to drain all the fresh water from the system when you are winterizing the RV or when you absolutly need to drain all fresh water from the system.    You normally won't touch them unless you need to winterize your trailer, or you are sanitizing the water system and need to clean it out.  The low point drains are positioned on the RV so they are at the lowest points of different areas of fresh water system for the trailer.

So if you open up the drain caps then "in theory" all the water will drain out of the system as the drains are the at the lowest point of the system.   Depending on the RV you will find one or more lowpoint drains for the fresh water system.   Usually one on the fresh water tank, one on or around water heater, and one or more around shower/bathroom area.  The lowpoint drains are designed to help you remove every last bit of water (that could freeze and cause damage) from the different areas of the fresh water system.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 7:17pm
This is the first thread I have printed in it's entirety. Thanks all!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 7:37pm
techntrek,

You said, "You CAN drain the water heater without removing the plug". Can you explain how this is done?

Thanks
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic