r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black tank questiion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black tank questiion
    Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 4:32pm
HI all, this week will be our first with all 3 hookups. E,W, and S I was wondering, let know if I'm right or wrong. You keep your valve closed on the black water tank till it is say at least 3/4 full, then open it up to dump down the sewer line with water chasing it after it has been dumping for a few minutes. When you are ready to leave the site you dump again (if full enough) or add water to make sure and then dump to clean out your tank?   The same goes for the gray water tank? Is this the right procedure??? Inquiring minds would like to know.....
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 4:44pm
Hey Ron,

I've never used extra water to chase the black (or the gray) water.

Generally, what you want to do is dump the black water first, letting it run down the hose until it's empty. Then close the black water valve, move the hose to the gray water tank and open that valve. The gray water cleans out anything left in the hose from dumping the black water.

After dumping, I always add a gallon or so of water back into both tanks just to keep stuff from drying out in there. I add a packet of black water chemical into the black water tank before adding that gallon.

Good luck with your upcoming full hookup!!

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 4:46pm
After emptying my black water tank, I flush it using the hydro-flush.  Then I close the black water tank valve and clean out the sewer hose using the hydro-flush again, still connected to the closed valve.  The sewer hose is then clean.

Next I connect the hydro-flush and hose to the grey water tank and follow the same procedure.

I have used the same hydro-flush on  my last 4 TTs.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-hydro-flush-90-degree/36031

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 6:04pm
The pods are the only travel trailers I have seen or owned that don't have a combined hose connection point for both the black and grey water tanks.  The emptying process is so much easier when you only have to connect your sewer hose once.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 9:42pm
So I must be missing something because I've seen this here before.....I remove the cap on my ONE discharge outlet and hook my sewer hose to it and when ready, open the black water valve.  After it empties, I open the gray valve.  Are you saying that on your POD you have to connect your hose to one and then take it off and hook it to the other?  If so, what a pain....why would that be the case since I also have a 2010?
BTW, I too will have full hookups for the first time next week.

2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by IPodAlong IPodAlong wrote:

So I must be missing something because I've seen this here before.....I remove the cap on my ONE discharge outlet and hook my sewer hose to it and when ready, open the black water valve.  After it empties, I open the gray valve.  Are you saying that on your POD you have to connect your hose to one and then take it off and hook it to the other?  If so, what a pain....why would that be the case since I also have a 2010?
BTW, I too will have full hookups for the first time next week.

My 2010 173 definitely has 2 separate outlets.  The one for the black water is in front of the wheel and the one for the grey is behind the wheel.  I have only had the pod for about a month.  I would like to mod the pod so both discharge valves connect to a common outlet.  With the axle situated between them, it might not be possible.  This is high on my list of modifications I am considering.

Other than pop-ups, I have had 3 other TTs and 4 motorhomes.  All had a common outlet.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 7:39am

[/QUOTE]

My 2010 173 definitely has 2 separate outlets.  The one for the black water is in front of the wheel and the one for the grey is behind the wheel.  I have only had the pod for about a month.  I would like to mod the pod so both discharge valves connect to a common outlet.  With the axle situated between them, it might not be possible.  This is high on my list of modifications I am considering.

Other than pop-ups, I have had 3 other TTs and 4 motorhomes.  All had a common outlet.

Bob
[/QUOTE]

Our 2010 175 also has dual discharge points.  If you will search the modifications topic, someone did connect them and posted pictures.  You have to go back a couple of years.  This is one mod I keep saying I am going to do, but just haven't yet.

Rob 

EDIT:
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 8:02am
I bought my 171 (2010) from a private person who had only had it less than a year.  He had only used it a few times so I'm sure he wouldn't have done that as a mod so it must be the floorplan of the 171 vs the others.  Because of the issues I had with the dome/track, I do know that in the middle of the 2010 year, they made some changes to the Pods.  So whether it was just the dome or other changes; i.e. separating the outlets rather than just leaving it as one......or maybe it's the 171 model. 
I will also say though that my outlet and release valves are extremely low and just behind the wheel.  I actually damaged some of that and had to have a pretty major repair.  Didn't remember running over anything that would have damaged it so I have to really watch.  I wonder if they were able to make it higher by separating outlets but can't imagine why that would help.

Anyway, I'm with you on having to work two "systems"; would not love that!
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:29am
I don't know for sure but maybe they have a single discharge if both tanks are on the same side of the axle.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 10:03am
Rob, thanks for the link.  I looked at my drain set-up again and noticed that my 2 valves are in the same plane as the axle.  For me to make this modification, as shown, I would first have to install a riser kit.  Even then, the new length of pipe would probably set right on top of the axle.  Interesting.  I like the idea but will have to actually measure all the heights more precisely. 

Seanl, I believe you are absolutely correct about a single discharge depending on where the 2 tanks are located.  Probably because the axle obstructs a clear shot between the two drain lines.  Speaking of locations, I noted in the illustrations that the grey water tank is in front of the axle and the black tank is behind it.  On mine it is just the opposite. 

If all pods now come with factory-installed riser kits, perhaps all the newer models have only one discharge location.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic