r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills to Yellowstone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Hills to Yellowstone
    Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:32am
We are planning on traveling to the Black Hills and then on to Yellowstone.  I have heard people say you have to pick the route that does not go through the mountains.  Does anyone have any advice about this?  I don't see which way to go and avoid them.  Thanks!
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2010 Silverado
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 9:22am
With your TV is that a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, I do not see a issue going through the mountains unless you are way over weight.

Can you post a little more information as to the weight of you trailer,TV ect ect?

WWR 
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:09am
We have a Chevy Silverado and we have a Surveyor 189.  The weight is not much more than the Rpod (I'm at work, so I can't look to see what it is).  Not worried about the truck pulling it so much as me for the driver.Ermm  Thanks Beth
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2010 Silverado

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 11:39am
Beth,

Just take  you time and enjoy.  You can do it!

Most of the grades on the roads are 6% max on the interstates.  If u are in the mountains just put your truck in a lower gear and take your time.  Speed kills on the grades.

Some of the most scenic routes go through the hills.

I have not traveled from the Black Hills to Yellowstone so someone whom has might have better information. I know I-90 is not that bad.

Hope that helps.
WWRBeer
9/11 Never Forget.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:32pm
Several years ago when we were living in MN, we dragged our rpod on I-90 through the Black Hills on our way to Yellowstone. However, we dipped south before we got to Yellowstone because we wanted to see the Tetons. So we stayed in Jackson for a week and then headed north to West Yellowstone where we stayed another week.

When we left Yellowstone, we headed north to I-94 and took that east back to MN.

We were towing with our Lexus SUV and never had any problems with the roads. I did read, however, that the roads coming into Yellowstone through the East entrance are steeper.

Correction: We did have one problem . . . we ran out of gas outside of Casper, WY on the way out. The signs promised a gas station up ahead but there was none to be found. The lesson learned was that if you have 1/2 tank of gas and you've driven for miles and miles and all you're seen is prairie dogs, you better stop and buy gas at your next opportunity.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Several years ago when we were living in MN, we dragged our rpod on I-90 through the Black Hills on our way to Yellowstone. However, we dipped south before we got to Yellowstone because we wanted to see the Tetons. So we stayed in Jackson for a week and then headed north to West Yellowstone where we stayed another week.

When we left Yellowstone, we headed north to I-94 and took that east back to MN.

We were towing with our Lexus SUV and never had any problems with the roads. I did read, however, that the roads coming into Yellowstone through the East entrance are steeper.

Correction: We did have one problem . . . we ran out of gas outside of Casper, WY on the way out. The signs promised a gas station up ahead but there was none to be found. The lesson learned was that if you have 1/2 tank of gas and you've driven for miles and miles and all you're seen is prairie dogs, you better stop and buy gas at your next opportunity.

-- Steve
+1^

Rule # 1 always fill up when given the chance.
Rule #10 always have time for pie and coffee(fill up your tank)Wink

WWRBeer
9/11 Never Forget.
SOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 1:03pm
To get to Yellowstone from the black hills the scenic route is thru the Bighorn mountains. Route 14 crosses on the north side and has less switchbacks and less grade than Route 16 which crosses on the south side. Check w/ WY DOT for construction and grade percentages--they have signs advising not to tow thru the south route. I pulled a popup thru w/ a mini van about 6 years ago--beautiful drive.
katwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 11:35am
I just drove from the black hills through Bighorn to the east entrance of Yellowstone this past week. I was not podding, but I would have been scared to take a trailer through Bighorn. We were on the 16 I believe and coming out the west side, there was over 9km of 10% grade to flatter ground. It is also a bit hilly going from Cody into Yellowstone, but we drove that when it was dark so could not see too much. 
Thanks,
Katrine
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 3:46pm
We travelled through I-90 with an F-150 and it wasn't bad at all. I would agree that the faster you try to drive up hills, the worst your gas mileage would be. I didn't worry too much about gas mileage and I can attest that the drive is well worth the journey you're about to embark. Enjoy the scenes and you'll be glad you did.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic