r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charging POD Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

Originally posted by Sleepless Sleepless wrote:

"The Device" certainly looks interesting!!  Seems like I saw it once before, but I don't remember anything about it.  Can you post a little information about what it is, what it does, etc.?

Bob

It is wired so when you hook up to the trailer's pigtail, it draws power from the trailer battery and with the switches you can turn on the running lights and the flashers. I actually built it for our 'stream, in case we had to leave it on the side of the road... at night.

As far as using it to find the pod at night.. LOL, we have under body LED's for that. So far we have been the only TT in any campground with the disco look under our trailer...

I would like to build that. can u point me in the right direction as far as what is needed and any wiring diagrams?
Thanks
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 8:03pm
Great work, furpod.  Did you incorporate an automotive-type flasher, or do the turn signal/brake/flasher lights stay on constantly with the switch? 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:01pm
It is pretty straight forward.. You get the box at home depot, everything else comes from an auto parts store. I had to shorten the Bargman to fit. You also have to have a flasher that works with LED's, it's square. Forget the exact name, but not the round metal one, the square black plastic one. 2 switches.. I also fused the hot..

In this picture, the flasher relay is removed so you can see the guts..

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:05am
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

It is pretty straight forward.. You get the box at home depot, everything else comes from an auto parts store. I had to shorten the Bargman to fit. You also have to have a flasher that works with LED's, it's square. Forget the exact name, but not the round metal one, the square black plastic one. 2 switches.. I also fused the hot..

In this picture, the flasher relay is removed so you can see the guts..

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 8:08pm
Does a tow vehicle with a bigger alternator charge the battery faster? F-350 Vs Ford Edge as an example.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by wallawallaron wallawallaron wrote:

Greetings one and all,

How do I test to see if my battery is charging thru my truck back to the POD?

Can I just plug my POD into my truck and see if I'am getting a reading at the battery hook up cable or do I have to have the battery installed and then take a reading?  I think I should read around 15 to 17 volts on my meeter if its charging.

Thanks for any help with this.

WWRBeer

Turns out that I was missing a relay and fuse that supplies power thru the TV to the POD.
9/11 Never Forget.
pjmingus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjmingus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:33pm
WWRon

What did you mean that you were "missing a relay and fuse that supplies power thru the TV to the POD"
Also do you know if anything on the Rpod controls the charging from the TV. Or is it solely the TV charging the batteries directly.
Also again would you happen to have the Phone # for Rpod Parts Dept?

Thanks you help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick
Patrick & Kathy
Prescott Valley AZ
2013 Hood River 177
06 Tacoma
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by pjmingus pjmingus wrote:

WWRon

What did you mean that you were "missing a relay and fuse that supplies power thru the TV to the POD"
Also do you know if anything on the Rpod controls the charging from the TV. Or is it solely the TV charging the batteries directly.
Also again would you happen to have the Phone # for Rpod Parts Dept?

Thanks you help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Patrick,

On my TV (Ford F-150) the fuse and relay that supplies power to charge through the pig tail is not installed at the factory.  They do supply the parts and you have to install yourself. 

I know this to happen on most of the Ford trucks with the factory installed tow package.
Parts are left in glove box.

I had to go to a ford truck forum to find out this.
I do think all charging is controlled from TV.

I do not have the phone # for RPOD parts.

Hope this helps. 
9/11 Never Forget.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic