r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charging POD Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charging POD Battery
    Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 9:55am
Greetings one and all,

How do I test to see if my battery is charging thru my truck back to the POD?

Can I just plug my POD into my truck and see if I'am getting a reading at the battery hook up cable or do I have to have the battery installed and then take a reading?  I think I should read around 15 to 17 volts on my meeter if its charging.

Thanks for any help with this.

WWRBeer
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:11am
You can just start the truck, and then probe the bargman connector on the truck. with the notch being "6 o'clock", probe "5 o'clock" and "11 o'clock". 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:56am
Furpod is absolutely correct about testing at the Bargman connector. 

One trick I learned years ago is that you can also test all of your exterior lights  by probing your trailer connector from the pod's battery.  I have done that several times to check all the lights when I am too lazy to hook up my TV.  Invariably I would find one or more clearance lights out on my larger trailers. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Sleepless Sleepless wrote:

Furpod is absolutely correct about testing at the Bargman connector. 

One trick I learned years ago is that you can also test all of your exterior lights  by probing your trailer connector from the pod's battery.  I have done that several times to check all the lights when I am too lazy to hook up my TV.  Invariably I would find one or more clearance lights out on my larger trailers. 

Bob

OR>> you could build "The Device" which, among it's many fun uses, is checking to see if your trailer lights work properly without hooking up...

Wink
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:03pm
"The Device" certainly looks interesting!!  Seems like I saw it once before, but I don't remember anything about it.  Can you post a little information about what it is, what it does, etc.?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:41pm
This is how you can check your lights without hooking up your trailer,

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:27pm
I don't think so.  Even using your on-board battery and grounded, you still have to use 3 separate pins to check the exterior lights.  Running lights (including tail lights), right turn signal and left turn signal.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:49pm
That's the exact same thing I do in order to run all of our exterior lights at night so we can find the rpod coming back from the bathhouse or whatever. I leave the 15 amp fuse in there from dusk to dawn.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Marwayne Marwayne wrote:

This is how you can check your lights without hooking up your trailer,

I misunderstood your intent with the fuse.  I thought you meant it is a way to test all of the exterior lights.  Yes, it will test all the running lights, but not the brake lights or turn signal lights.  Now that I understand, I think it is a neat thing to know.  I have used a jumper wire to do this, but I never thought of using a fuse.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Sleepless Sleepless wrote:

"The Device" certainly looks interesting!!  Seems like I saw it once before, but I don't remember anything about it.  Can you post a little information about what it is, what it does, etc.?

Bob

It is wired so when you hook up to the trailer's pigtail, it draws power from the trailer battery and with the switches you can turn on the running lights and the flashers. I actually built it for our 'stream, in case we had to leave it on the side of the road... at night.

As far as using it to find the pod at night.. LOL, we have under body LED's for that. So far we have been the only TT in any campground with the disco look under our trailer...
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic