r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thickness of the Pod's walls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thickness of the Pod's walls
    Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 8:55pm
I was about to install a paper towel rack on the wall of my 172 just to the right of the sink, when I realized that I should find out the thickness of the pod so I don't drill right through its skin and on to the other side.  I am mounting the rack with expander screws, the kind that screw into a plastic jacket that you first insert into a drilled hole and then insert the screw.  Anyone here know: (1) how thick the pod's walls are; and (2) are there any electrical lines running through that area (I think all the lines run in the ceiling and the floor of the pod.  ???  Thanks much.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:24pm
If you go look at my outside shower mod thread, there is a picture of a wall cut open.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 11:22pm
thanks.  I'll rummage around in this place and look for the mod.
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 12:21pm
The foam insulation is 2 inches.  I installed a window in the door and had to carefully measure the thickness to order the correct window trim.
tsunami
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 7:32pm
OK, here is a better picture of the wall cross section. This is from the wall of the slide. (all the walls are built the same, and in fact the slide is built in place with the rest of it's wall/trailer side, then cut out after lamination.)

'17 Ford F250 CCSB
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 8:00pm
Boy, a picture and a measure.  That is service.  Thank you so much.  It looks as if I am going to have to go with 7/8" screws or smaller.  1" may be a little too long.

Again.  Thanks.

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:27pm
Sorry about the error...Trust a real photo and ruler rather than a fading memory.  I could have sworn that the door thickness was 2" but I guess not.
tsunami
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 9:31pm
 Usually use 3/8 - 1/2 inch pan head sheet metal screws on the inside to hang lightweight things or those that rest on a surface but are fixed to a wall. 3/4" or Less plastic inserts will work too. On the exterior I use very short Molly's or plastic anchors but first fill the hole with silicone and wipe the excess.  So far all have held with out a problem- remember that very little we carry or hang weighs over 3-4 pounds.
That 1/8" plywood is quite tough.

Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

Sorry about the error...Trust a real photo and ruler rather than a fading memory.  I could have sworn that the door thickness was 2" but I guess not.

I haven't cut into a door...

yet Wink

Heck, it may be 2 inches.. or maybe 2 inches total.. or you needed a window for "up to 2 inch" thickness...)

it's all good. Smile
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 9:43am
Yes, I used locktight caulk in the holes I drilled for the plastic expander sleeves.  The paper towel rack seems to be holding up well.  The problem arose when I pulled the pod over several miles of the worse possible backroad (more of a trail) into the Big Belt Mountains here in Montana.  It shook loose most of the 3M adhesive hooks on which I was hanging a lot of stuff.  So, better to secure the "hanging stuff" with something more substantial.  Again, thanks for all the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic