r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter camping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter camping
    Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:57pm
Does anyone do any winter camping where temps are likely to go below freezing?

We're snow skiers and I always disliked driving up for a day of skiing and then have to turn around and go home after skiing all day. Would be nice to make it a 2-day weekend ski trip in the Pod.

Very concerned about setting up the Pod so that we're comfortable, and making sure our lines and tanks don't freeze.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:06pm
Well.. you don't have heated tanks, nor is the Pod set up as a four season camper. So this means, your tanks and lines will freeze. Simple as that.

To winter camp with your pod, you will need to winterize it first. If you are going skiing with it, it is a for sure deal that it's sustained temps below freezing outside. The way we do it is just like tent camping, water inside, in the warmth, in 5 gallon jugs. We use a portable sink for washing up and doing dishes, then dump outside, some campgrounds WILL NOT allow this. Don't go there.some campgrounds have 1 bath house open all year and prepared for crazies like us, but not many. So that can limit WHERE you can go some also. If you have elec hookups, use a small ceramic heater, rather than the furnace. A 1500 watt heater will keep the Pod warm down to 20F or better. (coldest we have been out) You can use RV anti freeze to "flush with".. so the "stuff" doesn't freeze solid and hang out 'till spring..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:47am
Crystal Mountain has sites open in the winter with only electric. If you want to consider winter camping, then at least have skirting around your POD and a light/heater underneath to utilize it's full potential. If you're going to rough it in your POD, then might as well not do it. The reason you got a TT is so that you don't have to rough it.

Ultraheat is another alternative to heating your tanks and lines; however, this option would require you to limit use of other dc appliances, use their ac option, or upgrade to a 75 Amp converter.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:57am
Having lived in the Midwest for most of our lives, we quickly learned that we could by-pass our converter when using electric heaters.  Simply run a separate power cord to a 20 amp receptacle at the campground's box.  For a heater underneath a pod, that is all you need, a 20 amp extension cord and your electric heater.  As Kenn mentioned, use skirting around the trailer to retain the heat.  The only problem I once had was having my water hose freeze.  After that, I used the on-board fresh water only.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:57pm
I'm getting the idea that winterization is a must do! The ski area I go to has about 30 or so electric hookups...no water/sewer. The lodge has public facilities, so the pod is basically a place to sleep...
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

pklong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pklong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:41am
If it gets too cold, I would steer away from carrying water in the tanks.  But, If I remember, aren't our pods built a little different?  Meaning, the Hood River Edition, I think we have more insulation at least in the walls...  Just a thought to keep you warm!  :-)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:38pm
We camped during winters for several years and never used our furnace except to initially warm up our trailers.  Then the electric heater(s) took over.  The areas most overlooked for winterizing are the windows, skylights/vent, and though not applicable to our pods, the window in the door.  We have always used window insulators for the glass areas and vent pillows for the vent(s).  They really make a difference.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by pklong pklong wrote:

If it gets too cold, I would steer away from carrying water in the tanks.  But, If I remember, aren't our pods built a little different?  Meaning, the Hood River Edition, I think we have more insulation at least in the walls...  Just a thought to keep you warm!  :-)

Built different? I hadn't heard that before. Anyone verify?

I know pickup campers like Northland and Arctic Fox are built for cold weather.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:36pm
I've seen HRE's right next to standard Pods  Never seen anything that would suggest the walls are thicker.

Have also seen the framing at the plants and there as well not seen that there are any different sizing or thickness of walls.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Sleepless Sleepless wrote:

window insulators for the glass areas and vent pillows for the vent(s).
Bob

Oh yeah...those are going on the shopping list! Is the the type of window insulation you mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3s0bY6IAXI

With the window insulation on, you basically end up with a double-pane window....does it do a decent job minimizing condensation? I know in colder temps condensation is a problem.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic