r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

173 countertop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brods365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 173 countertop
    Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 5:34pm
I would like to see a flip up countertop on the sink side. I love the design of the 173, but there is to little countertop space. I will probably figure out how to build one myself. Also a cover over the burners would give more space when not cooking inside.
desertskyblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:59am
We have a 151 and I would agree, even though we have a little more counter space, a cover for the stove would be a great help while preparing food.  I would also like to see a cutting board fitted over the sink. Big smile

Suzette
desertskyblue
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:25pm
My wife and I would also like to see a cover for the stove...counterspace is so limited every little bit would help.
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jlhyatt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 3:18am
My wife & I just purchased the R-Pod 173, and we find the same thing, very little counter space. So by me being a little handy with wood working, I've built a cover to fit over the stove and one over the sink, that can also be used as a chopping block.  I've also added some selves in the front and rear over the windows. This is a very tricky operation because you have to be able to find the studs in the walls, I accomplished this with a stud finder. These selves will give us a little more storage space. I would love to be able to post some pictures, but I don't own a very good camera yet. I would be glad to assist anyone with advice or help on this.
jim
jim
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 10:00am
I would like to know more on how you did the modifications.  We ordered the 172 with the top bunk loose, so we can add shelves and a section for a closet.  I'm also interested in the stove and sink cover.  I asked the dealer to check into it, and they said they didn't have anything.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Darlene
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
jlhyatt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 4:06pm
We are trying to get our RP 173 ready to take a trip across Canada into Alaska--our dream vacation.Smile Any tips are appreciated. The modifications we made have been fairly simple to accomplish once we decided all of the places we could install shelves which are on both rear & front walls above the windows and on the wall behind the stove. We are installing a mirror and shelf on the wall behind the sink. We also bought 4 large plastic storage boxes with pull out drawers that we put between the two swivel rockers in the rear of the camper. We elected to get the rockers instead of the sofa (a very wise choice for just two people). We installed a full length mirror on the bathroom door and put over-the-door hooks on the door also. The covers for the burners and sink are made from pre-finished mahogany plywood on top with the sides made of 3/4 inch strips of wood with the corners rounded on the sander. We can't use it for a cutting board but it makes the space useful to put one on. We have now taken some 'before' pictures and will take some more when our project is completed. Watch for our posts.   
jim
brods365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brods365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 6:29pm
Thanks Jim, I would also like to see pictures. I think there is a lack of storage space.  We have the sofa and I am hoping there is storage under the seat. The shelves sound great.

Bob
jlhyatt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 3:30pm
I have taken some before pics and will take some after pics on Wed after I install the shelves. I tried last night to post the pics on this site, but I just can't figure out the scheme how to get them on here. Every time I try, it says the memory is to much. I've tried to down size them, but that doesn't work either.  If anyone would like me to send them pics by e-mail, I'll be glad to. My e-mail is jim@jnjhyatt.com.
Happy Camping
Jim
jim
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 3:49am
Originally posted by jlhyatt jlhyatt wrote:

I have taken some before pics and will take some after pics on Wed after I install the shelves. I tried last night to post the pics on this site, but I just can't figure out the scheme how to get them on here. Every time I try, it says the memory is to much. I've tried to down size them, but that doesn't work either.  If anyone would like me to send them pics by e-mail, I'll be glad to. My e-mail is jim@jnjhyatt.com.
Happy Camping
Jim

Are you putting them on the walls?  If so please let me know what lenght screws that you use to put them on the wall as I'm afraid that I might go all the way through the wall.

Thank you,
James
Let's hit the road!
jlhyatt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 9:49am
The walls on the pod are about 2 - 2.5 inches thick. I'm only using 1" screws to go into the wall.  You have to screw into a stud or else the screw will pull back out of the wall. I used a stud finder to locate the studs. Please keep in mind, these shelves are not for heavy stuff. I'll be glad to send you pics of what I have done if you e-mail me. I've got my shelves up now and it gives us a little more storage room.
Jim
jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic