r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roof sealant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gottapod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof sealant
    Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 4:37pm
I had read about the rear roof spoiler not being sealed very well on the top side. Sure enough I was inspecting the roof and there a gaps between the roof and spoiler. The spoiler "puckers" in between screws and that is where the gaps are. When I pushed down on the gap I get water coming out. What type of sealant does F/R use and is it possible to buy?
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 5:45am
The folks at the factory gave us tubes of two types of sealant.

The one for sealing around seams is TremPro 644 RTV Silicone. The thicker white stuff (what is around the light bar and air conditioner, etc.) is Alpha High Solids Self-Leveling Sealant 1021.

However, there was a big discussion about this on the Facebook page and most agreed that they prefer the Dicor products because they do not attract dirt the way the factory sealants do.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Peggy L. Peggy L. wrote:

The folks at the factory gave us tubes of two types of sealant.

The one for sealing around seams is TremPro 644 RTV Silicone. The thicker white stuff (what is around the light bar and air conditioner, etc.) is Alpha High Solids Self-Leveling Sealant 1021.

However, there was a big discussion about this on the Facebook page and most agreed that they prefer the Dicor products because they do not attract dirt the way the factory sealants do.

I have used the Dicor sealants for over 10 years, and as Peggy said, it mantains a clean appearance and does not attract dirt.  I use only the self-leveling (available at CW) around every projection on the roof.  On my past trailers, I also used it around all the edge moldings around the roof. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic