r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Cover
    Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 3:52pm
Just got off the phone with ADCO RV Covers (in the Good Sam Club catalog). They have a standard R-Pod cover for 170 models up to 15'1", but that won't fit my RP-178. My coach measures about 16'5". They said I'd need to have a custom fitted cover, including the AC, TV antenna, etc and quoted me $527.

Ye Gads! The model 170 15'1" pre-made covers are $180.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 4:11pm
Rollinstone - are there different lengths within the 170 series? I see covers all over the Web at $150 (Amazon, Northern Tool) saying they fit the 170 series.

We have a cover for our 177 that we never use since we have covered storage for our rpod. If these covers are going for the kind of money you're talking about, we should think about selling ours.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by rollinstone rollinstone wrote:

Just got off the phone with ADCO RV Covers (in the Good Sam Club catalog). They have a standard R-Pod cover for 170 models up to 15'1", but that won't fit my RP-178. My coach measures about 16'5". They said I'd need to have a custom fitted cover, including the AC, TV antenna, etc and quoted me $527.

Ye Gads! The model 170 15'1" pre-made covers are $180.

The one from Forest River is $400 and there is a model being made in December by another company to accomodate our larger Pods.  No pricing info yet but it is sure to be competitive with the other ones that exist.  

My advice wait till December!
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:54pm
Oh yeah...I'm waiting!
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Rollinstone - are there different lengths within the 170 series? I see covers all over the Web at $150 (Amazon, Northern Tool) saying they fit the 170 series.

We have a cover for our 177 that we never use since we have covered storage for our rpod. If these covers are going for the kind of money you're talking about, we should think about selling ours.

-- Steve

Yes there are different lengths...the 171 thru 177s are 18'4" up to 18'8". The 178, 181, and 182 are all 20'...these lengths include the tongue.

When you measure for a cover you only measure from the end of the spare tire, if so equipped, forward to the front of the coach...do not include the tongue in that measurement. My 178 coach is 16'5". The cover made for the R-Pod at present will not fit my 178...gotta wait until later in the year when the new covers are supposed to come out.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:22am
Actually if your canvas shop is using a quality fabric like Sunbrella (unlike the premade covers) that price isn't so bad, although it's not necessary to custom fit around the A/C, TV antenna, etc. None of the premade covers do this. If they skip this step, making a simple three part cover with two zippers for the door,  it might bring the price down a bit for you.

I've been using one of the cheap premade covers for several years now. Not the highest quality but does the job. For the price I paid for my cover I can hardly buy even the cheapest material to make my own.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 12:25pm
I don't need high quality. Yes, the fabric in question here was Sunbrella...the higher end fabric.
Where did you order your pre-made cover and which size did you order? Did it come with the door side zippers?
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 1:56pm
I got mine from Northern Tool for $150 + shipping back in summer 2011. It's called Classic Accessories Teardrop Trailer Cover. The size is 190L x 78W x 93H. Model #80-115-151001-00. Fits my '09 172 fine. It has the two side door zippers.

If you go to the Classic Accessories web site, this would be their Model 2. They're still the same price at Northern Tool as they were when I got mine:

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic