r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honda generator question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda generator question
    Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 3:21pm
I am considering two different Honda generators, the popular EU2000i and the new EU3000i Handi. The first puts out 2000 watts and the other 3000 watts, and they cost basically $1000 and $2000 respectively.  As folks have reported here, the EU2000i isn't quite enough juice to run everything, at least not at the same time, and since I do want that ability I am weighing whether to get the EU3000i OR two EU2000i to run in parallel.

Honda says that running two EU2000i generators in parallel will produce 30 amps, whereas they produce only 16.7 amps individually... my question is: will using two EU2000i generators also double the output wattage to 4000?  The specs don't say anything about this.

No, the r-pod may not need that much wattage, but for home backup it would be very useful.  There are other advantages to having two separate generators: redundancy should one fail, the option to use just one for other applications, helping out a fellow camper in need, cool weather camping when you won't need the AC, etc.

It seems to me that if I am going to spend $2000 one way or the other that buying two EU2000i's is the way to go.  I would appreciate others' thoughts and a confirmation on the wattage question if anyone knows for sure.  Thanks!

gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 5:33pm
If you order the EU2000i parallel power kit (about $200) then you can combine the output of two EU2000i generators to get 30amps of max power.   So you aren't going to see 4000w of power output from what I can tell.   
plantkiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plantkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 6:20pm
On a side note.... how about the Yamaha EF2400is?  It will power everything in the POD and only cost about $1,200.  You won't need to lug around two Hondas.

I have a Honda EU2000i....  I love it, but if I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the Yamaha.

2010 R-POD 172 (version 1.0)
2007 NISSAN FRONTIER SE 4x4 w/ Prodigy P3
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 7:55pm
I have to agree with you tedbear with having 2 2000i's.  We currently have one and if we feel the need for more power, we have the option to purchase the second one.  You have the option of being able to split them and if one breaks down you still have the other.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 4:01am
Thanks for the info about Yamaha.  They say that mating a pair of their smaller generators does indeed double the wattage, so I think that question has been answered now.

So to summarize, if you want Honda and enough juice to run everything in the r-pod at once, you will spend essentially $2,000 for one of these choices:

1 EU3000i - 3000 watts, 25 amps
2 EU2000i - 4000 watts, 30 amps (combined power)
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 7:31am
Doesn't look like you are really going to get true 4000w max out of 2xEU2000 but its close.

Two EU2000 connected
3600 watts max (less then 30 minutes)
3200 watts for steady load.
Which makes sense, 30amp rated cable and 30amp breaker on combiner kit.
120*30 = 3600 watts
Generators "might" be capable of 4000w max (I really doubt PF of 1) but limited by other components in the system.

An EU3000 is rated for:
3000 watts max (less then 30 minutes)
2800 watts steady load.

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:10am
As a newbie I know NOTHING, but I'm learning..a Honeywell Hw2000i for 499 on Amazon.   Does anyone know how it campares to the Honda and Yamaha.  (same size).

Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:59am
I have the EU20001 twins but have only had one at a time hooked up to my 171. The AC ran for hours one afternoon on each one separately. I did take both along on my last trip just in case - some folks have reported problems "in the field" with a single unit versus the backyard test. Mine have only been "backyard" tested thus far. Most of the time I'm in campgrounds with hookups. I'd recommend getting one unit and only buy the second one if you really see the need. Mine have been used very little and I've had one for 8 or so years. I think, if you are careful, one unit will do what you need when you need it - AC and lights with fridge on gas and perhaps flip the breaker on the converter. I did nothing to the converter while the AC ran in the "tests".
plantkiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plantkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 9:28am
The Honda EU3000 has a dry weight of 134 pounds.
That's heavy even before filling it up with gas.  I wouldn't want to lug that thing around.

If you want Honda, then the dual EU2000 is a good option.  But, for $2,000 that's a lot of money.

Lee - I would check the noise level of that Honeywell unit.  I have a EU2000 and it's quiet.  Usually starts on the first pull.  Problem free for over 2 years now.
2010 R-POD 172 (version 1.0)
2007 NISSAN FRONTIER SE 4x4 w/ Prodigy P3
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 5:12pm
The consensus I've seen on another forum I frequent, is to go with the two Hondas.  The single larger unit isn't quite one-person moveable, but the two smaller units are.  And you can just take one for the spring and fall trips.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic