r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air compressor for winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air compressor for winterizing
    Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:27am
Just recently someone mentioned a small air compressor under $100 from Home Depot that is suitable for pushing enough air through the system to winterize the Pod.  I cannot find that strand.  I'm thinking it was a small pancake compressor like this one:
I went by Home Depot and they didn't have it so came home to order online and then got to reading reviews.  There are always going to be positive and negative reviews but has anyone used this compressor?  Just want to make sure it really would provide enough pressure to do the job before purchasing.
Also wanted to make sure this was the same one someone in the forum had mentioned.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:59am
You might want to consider the small pancake compressor that Harbor Freight almost always has on sale for around $39.00.  It is more than adequate for this purpose.  However, it is a light-weight model compared to the brand names and may not hold up well under heavy-duty use. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 11:16am
If you do not otherwise have a use for a compressor, I would not buy one just for winterizing your camper. It takes about 1 gallon of pink stuff to winterize our 177.. $3.

If you HAVE a need for a compressor, in my world view, you don't need a cheap one..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 11:24am
I am going to be using my camper to go further south a couple of times this winter and would like to just blow it out rather than doing all of the antifreeze stuff since it would seem to be simpler to un-winterize that way. 
I may also use the compressor to blow up pool floats, bicycle tires, etc.  I am currently just using a small one I plug into my car and it takes forever on the floats.
Hadn't thought about checking Harbor Freight though I was trying to find one someone had used and knew it would do the job.
2010 Rp 171
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:06pm
Be sure and set the pressure on the compressor to no more than 40 psi. the plastic pipe will not withstand high pressure.

lark R-171 Ford F 150 MN
Lark
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:15pm
I may not have been clear when I mentioned that the Harbor Freight compressor is cheap.  Yes, it is inexpensive and light-weight, but some of my neighbors have them for use around the house.  I personally have a large 220 volt compressor with a 20 gallon tank, but I use it frequently with my air tools.  The $39 compressor would not serve me well. 

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD}
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:22pm
You will be glad you use the air compressor to blow out your water lines.  This is my 2nd year using this method.  I timed it and from the time I hooked up the air hose to my water line under the sink where the 3 way valve is it took a total of 1 minute to blow out both sinks and toilet.  My tank pressure was 60 p.s.i.  My brother has used the same pressure on his unit for quite a number of years w/o any incidents.

The first year I used the traditional red anti-freeze :( and had a horrible time trying to get rid of the nasty after taste in our water lines.  After flushing the tank out 5x  using first bleach and then a mix of white vinegar and lemon/lime concentrate, we were successful in getting rid of the taste, will never use red anti-freeze again. 
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:44am
I have an "adapter" that will fit on the city water connection and was under the understanding that about 35 lbs is a good amount.  I know this has been addressed extensively in other strands so I need to re-read those but am glad to hear that it is easy and quick. 
And Sleepless, the Harbor Freight one sounds like all I need so I'll be visiting the store here.
2010 Rp 171
C&T in TN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C&T in TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 1:21pm
I was thinking about doing it that way myself, sounds a lot easier but confused a little. if you use air to blow out all the water in the lines, you do not need to use antifreeze at all?
Chris & Terri
Rainey & Kelly - can't-get-enough-hugs-and-kisses furgirls
2010 171
2006 Nissan Xterra X

When nothing goes right ------>go left<-------
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 5:11pm
you still need antifreeze in the P traps. Shower and sink(s). 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic