r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finding RV Campsites

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding RV Campsites
    Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 3:10pm
What's the best resource you've used for finding RV campsites? We're new to this experience and one of the things that I want to avoid is having to make reservations for every stop we might want to make...stops that would include at least 30 amp hookups. Here in Western Washington we have a lot of state and national parks, but there is NO WAY to get into one of those parks w/o making a reservation months in advance.

I'm an inveterate planner, but making reservation for every campsite seems like a chore. How do most of you get around this? Even boondocking has it's limitations...one being being able to find a site to begin with.

Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 3:33pm
Reservations? I don't leave home without them <LOL>.

The last thing I want to do is drive all day, pull into a campground, tired and hungry and finding no room at the inn.

I figure I can always cancel reservations (just have to keep in mind the cancellation timeframe).

We almost always book with KOA. We like them. Others don't. But we have always found them clean, especially the bath houses which we use instead of the rpod bathroom. It's pretty easy to book a trip with them. Just go to their website and pick the places and days you want. If you're a member, you get a discount.

Works for us but maybe not for you. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
The Tweeners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tweeners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 9:26pm
We always make reservations. We use reserveamerica.com because we like the state parks and cancellation fees are minimal.  I would rather spend the time making the reservation than driving from place to place to find an available campsite.
Mike & Jody
bubink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 9:31am
Do you have a smartphone or tablet?? I have the iPhone and an iPad and SWEAR by the Allstays app. Its about $10 but worth every penny. Has city, state, county, KOA, commerical, national parks and forests, rest stops, Walmart and truck stops listed with all their contact info. If you have internet access, via either 3G or wifi, you can make reservations on the fly. Also list RV dealerships, Cabella's, REI and height clearances. I use to have about a dozen different apps for camping and this is the one I religiously use.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 11:37am
We are almost always in a state park, military RV park or 1000 Trails Resort. We don't go without reservations. Most all the states now use the "reserve America" system. No problems so far.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic