r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do or Don't Drink the Water?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do or Don't Drink the Water?
    Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 9:38pm
We do the same as Marwayne, have done it since 2011 with no issues.  We use it for drinking water with no ill effects. 

The first year we winterized the traditional way using RV antifreeze.  The next spring I spent quite a few hours using different solutions to rid the tank of the nasty antifreeze taste.  For the past 2 years I simply used a compressor and blow the lines out.  The whole process, closing the bypass valves, blowing out with air, then using about 1 quart of antifreeze for the traps only takes about 10 minutes on our 177.
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 5:28pm
Follow the instructions for sanitizing your system, all will be fine. 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:39pm
This is what I do to get all the water out of the tank.
I drain the tank at the bottom when the water stops running I put on the cap, tilt the trailer nose down so you have a good slope and pump the rest out of the tank. Than your tank will be empty.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
SOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:48am
I've noticed that due to the positioning of the drain valve on the fresh water tank, it is impossible to completely drain all of the water. We are wondering how safe it is to drink the water since we can't completely flush it out. We've used the water 'fresh' products, and put a little chlorine in from time to time, but we still are uneasy about drinking it. We are former popup campers and have maintained our practice of using a separate jug for dinking water that we can clean thoroughly, and use the camper tank water for kitchen/bath duties. Does anyone share our concerns, and how did you address this inability to completely drain/flush the fresh water tank? Our water pump 'pickup' placement won't allow for complete pumping out the tank either. Looking for helpful advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic