r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

solar panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar panel
    Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 8:43am
Picked up a 40w solar panel. Novice on this subject, it has folding legs to angel to sun, and a controller so it won't over charge.. Wondering if this is big enough, if I get another battery say and switch every 2-3 days when boon docking. Can I hook up solar panel to a battery in use on the trailer and charge while using the battery for the trailer?
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 10:38am
You don't have to switch between batteries, just mount both and wire them in parallel.. It's IMHO the best and easiest option. You can switch to two 6v GC batteries, and wire them in series, that is the BEST option for boondocking.

The charger can be hooked up to them while in use. 40 watts is probably not going to be enough to stay at full capacity, but it should be enough to keep you out for an extended length of time, as long as you don't have a high battery drain day or night, like having to run the furnace. The furnace uses a lot of power to run it's fan.  It's the highest draw in the camper, other than the fridge on 12v, never run the fridge on 12v if not hooked up to the TV or shore power. We only run 12v when towing.

Lets say on a good day your solar charger can replace 50% of your capacity... probably a bit high in actual use, but just to get a feel for how it can work.. if you use less than 50% of your capacity on any one day, the charger will bring them back to 100%.. but if you used say 60%, then they are only going to bring you back to 90%.. but that is way better than the 40% you would have had with no charger.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 11:14am
Why don't you just hook up the batteries together in parallel and attach the solar panel to both batteries? That would probably be more efficient.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 9:49pm
Ok thanks guys. So if I hook up to batteries in line, do I just hook up the solar panel to one battery to recharge and that in turn will also charge the other batter? Like I said complete novice on this solar panel, dual hook up thing... I'd get someone with knowledge about inline batteries to be around when/if I go to hook them together...
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 8:36am
Whether you go with two 12v's or two 6v's, you would attach the positive and negative leads coming from the charge controller to the same posts the trailer's wiring is attached.

It isn't rocket science... but it IS science..lol

If you go with two 12v's they get wired in parallel, which  combines their amps, and if you go to 6v batteries, they get wired in series, which combines their voltage. 6v batteries are usually higher amps per battery, so are a better deal, available power wise.

12v info..

since your solar system you have is "self contained" just follow it's instructions.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 6:16pm
I wired my solar charger directly into the charging input line from the bargemman connector and output from the charger side of the inverter/charger.  I put a standard recessed input connector (a male 120v wall mount) on the outer wall next to the 30 Amp input.  I labeled it "Solar Charger Input Only".   Then I Used a 25 foot ext cord - 14 ga to reduce voltage to connect to the output of the converted on the panels.  It works well, we just put it on a folding chair and manually track the sun.  We use a dual 6V system. I have some photos on the other forum last summer.  
Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 5:30am
Thx podsible, but I'm not that tech savy to do that. Friend of mine, is a long time camper. He said since likely 90% of our camping would be with electric, he wouldn't have the batteries hooked up together, just carry the extra one and charger when we know or think we might use it and swap out the batteries when one gets low. He said why carry the extra weight all the time. Maybe carry the charger all the time in case there is a power outage and you have to recharge the battery. Which has happened a couple of times, while we were still in the tent..The boss needed her electric blanket and kerig cafine hit in the morning...
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic