r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive hard wired surge protector instal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive hard wired surge protector instal
    Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 3:02pm
OK, so today I was able to give the pod some love..

We picked up the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, with remote display for furpod.

Installation is pretty straight forward, about the only thing sort of confusing is that there is a line sensor, and it has an arrow, that doesn't point at anything.. but it does signify which way the wire goes through the sensor. The arrow side of the sensor is towards the end of the hot wire as you attach it to the post. Watch the leads to the sensor, or they will try to get wrapped up in the power leads. The next little trick is that the ground points are not installed, you mount them during the instal.

In the case of our 177, I made the first connections on the "output" side, so I had some room to work with, but once I started on the "input" side.. it's a lot of reaching and bending over the side of the bench.

I have not mounted the remote readout yet, I was going to mount it up at the top of the seat end, but after thinking about it, I think I am going to put it right next to the power distribution box, since the time I am going to be most interested in looking at it will be right after hooking up, and I can see it great there from outside the camper with the slide still in..

So, quick couple of pics..

Besides being a surge protector, the device checks for open/bad grounds, reverse polarity, wrong voltage, shorts, wrong frequency. It's display scrolls through voltage, cycles, and amp draw, which seems handy to know what draws what.. For instance just to play with it, I turned on the fridge, and on 120v, it draws about 4 amps. Pod was drawing a base of 2 amps, readout jumped to 6 amps just as soon I turned the fridge on.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic