r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First prep questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike98465 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 4:40pm
Thanks so much for that tip, Ratdog!  Makes sense and we hope we won't use alot of hot water!  Famous last words perhaps.....
Thanks for any advice!
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by mike98465 mike98465 wrote:

Thanks so much for that tip, Ratdog!  Makes sense and we hope we won't use alot of hot water!  Famous last words perhaps.....

You're welcome. And, hey, if you run out of hot water using the electric heater, it's no big deal. Just turn on your propane for a few minutes and you're back in business.

Just a reminder, as you've already been advised, be sure not to have your electric element turned on with an empty tank.

--Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:25pm
Mike, we've never used our propane for hot water as we are always on electric sites. Once in place, first thing we do is plug in to electric and turn on hot water. When you fill your hot water tank for the first time each season, the hot water tank will be full for the rest of the year, until you empty it for winterization. But to be safe, after plugging in to power, before turning on water heater we always test for water to come out of hot water taps before turning the toggle switch for hot water.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:30pm
Sorry forgot to add: By the time you have finished setting up, your hot water is hot and your ready to enjoy your stay. I'm assuming you've either got your fresh water tank full or on city water.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
mike98465 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike98465 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 9:44pm
Thanks Ron (and all).  Everything seems to be working fine in my driveway--/ our first actual trip part of Spring break for a child) starts Monday--- a three nighter at a park on the strait of Juan de Fuca on the northwest Washington coast.  Will file a brief report after (and am guessing I may have a few questions, too);
Thanks for any advice!
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 11:08pm
This is a great place for questions and answers. And I mean all kind of questions, we were all first time podders at one time or another. We have our first trip planned for May 21... hope snow is gone by then...
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:56am
Originally posted by ron_whitt ron_whitt wrote:

This is a great place for questions and answers. And I mean all kind of questions, we were all first time podders at one time or another. We have our first trip planned for May 21... hope snow is gone by then...

Ron - My wife grew up in Minnesota and tells me she remembers it snowing in June. I know you live even further into the frozen tundra. What's the latest in the year you've seen snow?

-- Steve

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:39am
The spring of 71.... We had a snow pile where the sun couldn't get to it. It was into the 2nd week of June.... LOL I guess you call that the summer of 71... I remember walking home from work in mid-winter, about 5am in the morning.. (left early) during a snow blizzard and the snow in the streets were up to my mid thigh... But as for latest snow fall, yes in June also, didn't stay but it did snow. As someone??? once said " you live there on purpose..."
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:50am
During the 7 years I lived in MN, I heard the joke that everyone hopes that summer falls on the weekend so everyone can enjoy it before winter arrives again <LOL>.

We moved to MN in May. When winter arrived and the first snow started to fall, I was excited. I stood there staring out the window just amazed at what was going on. After about 20 minutes, my wife came in the room and handed me a shovel. Things were never the same again.

-- Steve

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 1:02pm
LOL I hear you Steve.   Muckluks,shovels and snow blowers... 3 things you can't do without north of 49... With the weather reports this coming week, I'm hoping the snow is going to take a s**t kicking... I truly hope that some day we do get to meet up somewhere. We have our first week booked for the week of May 21... Silent Lake prov. park.. About 3 connecting small lakes with no motors allowed, not even electric motors.. hope all the snow is gone by then..... Happy podding this year bud and talk to you again.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic