r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First prep questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike98465 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First prep questions
    Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:25am
We have never owned an RV but love camping and decided to buy a small RV and after lots of shopping, landed on the 178, drove 3.5 hours over mountain passes to get it (saved $3k over the local dealers "best price"), made it home (never pulled a trailer before either) and have been prepping the unit for our first big trek next week.

I've de-winterized the tanks (flushed the anti-freeze, then filled with a bleach mixture and flushed that too), got the toilet working (treated that and the gray tank with the stuff you put 2 oz of in it) and tested the heater and propane).  I hooked up the unit to city water (running a hose to the city water connector) and got flow just fine) and plugged the unit into a regular household plug ( running on a 100 ft extension chord which I know loses some "umph").

I tried to follow the water heater prep steps but could not get the hot water heater to work?  The water hitter switch kept getting the "reset" button so I thought that perhaps I wasn't getting enough power.  So I turned on the propane instead and that seemed to work better --- It did slightly warm the water but only for like say 15 seconds of flow before cold again?  I then wondered if because I was on city water (and not tank water) whether the hot water tank was full--- so I've now opted to put water in the holding tank and hope that somehow THAT fills up the hot water tank and will warm the water (I've left the propane and hot water tank on over night).

See, I told you I was a rookie!  What am I doing wrong?  Any advice?  I will go check what happened overnight soon.  By the way, I should have mentioned that I did turn the two knobs (the hot and cold labeled ones above and below each other by the tank) to be perpendicular to the pipes-- the orientation stressed both go the same way).  There was also a third knob (to the right of the two when looking down) that I didn't touch...should have I?).  Thanks for any advice you can offer!  
Thanks for any advice!
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:08am
From the sounds of it you found the toggle switch in the outside water heater compartment. Make sure it is turned on. It seems like your shut off valves (for winterizing and dewinterizing) might not be in the proper positions. If you look around here you will find a thread with pic of how they should be aligned. Also NEVER turn on your water heater until you have filled the hot water tank with water, you'll burn out the element very quickly. If at some point your not getting water pressure out of your taps, first thing is to check that no debris is clogging the nozzle of you tap Our 1st year we had no problem.. 2nd season we had debris clog up the nozzle.. and it didn't take much. I also was/am a first time tt owner coming from a tent. The forums are great places to find and get help. Happy podding.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:15am
Just read you thread again. I believe you should have the turned the knobs to be horizontal or going in the same direction as the water lines, so the water will follow along the lines into and out of the hot water tank. The other knob is the one use for winterization. As I can't get to my pod yet(just got another 2in of snow over night, will winter never end...)I can't quite picture how the lay out of the pipes are.. still a fairly new podder myself. Like I said check out the forums for help.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 12:46pm

This is the position the valves have to be in for use of the HWT, for winterisation the valves positions have to be reversed.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
mike98465 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike98465 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:34pm
Thanks all.  I do think these are the position ours are in (will doublecheck though---for our 178, we have to move the mattress, unscrew the plywood top portion of the bed and remove to be able to gain access).  What is weird is that we do seem to have a small amount  of hot water (like say 10 seconds tops of running water when we trun on the hot water knob on the sink...after a period of cold it gets hot for a max ten seconds before gradually getting cooler)....it just doesnt seem like enough though?  Also, ive seen all the warnings about not trying the hot water until you're sure there is water in the hot water tank...well, how can you tell?  It didnt seem to work as well with the city water (hose) hooked into the rpod and electrical so I filled the fresh tank and used propane instead...should it work either way?  I appreciate any advice...as I said, this is my FIRST RV and getting ready for our FIRST trip!  Thanks!
Thanks for any advice!
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:40pm
We had the same problem the first time we wanted to use the HWH, I am sure that all of your valves are open. It should work either way.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 3:03pm
Sounds to me too, that your valves may not be set correctly.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 8:45am
One way to check the level in the hot water tank is to press the pressure release valve on your hot water tank and if water comes out you have a full tank. Or you could just turn on a hot water tap and if water comes out... bob's your uncle.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
mike98465 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike98465 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 4:03pm
Hi folks,  Pleased to report we have hot water now---we didn't have one knob turned the right way so thanks to Marwayne for the pic and all for the advice!   Related question:  I've seen different thoughts on when camping, leaving the water heater ON when on propane or turning it off and only heating up when needed.  Thoughts?  Assuming one shower per day (fast one) and dishwashing using the hot water (say one sinkful--lots of paper plates etc), and minimal need for the furnace and stove top, will the 20 lb. propane tank last a few days (say 3-4) if I just keep it on?  Or it it better to keep off (and keep the water pump off as well) when not directly needed?  Appreciate any thoughts.  
Thanks for any advice!
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by mike98465 mike98465 wrote:

Hi folks,  Pleased to report we have hot water now---we didn't have one knob turned the right way so thanks to Marwayne for the pic and all for the advice!   Related question:  I've seen different thoughts on when camping, leaving the water heater ON when on propane or turning it off and only heating up when needed.  Thoughts?  Assuming one shower per day (fast one) and dishwashing using the hot water (say one sinkful--lots of paper plates etc), and minimal need for the furnace and stove top, will the 20 lb. propane tank last a few days (say 3-4) if I just keep it on?  Or it it better to keep off (and keep the water pump off as well) when not directly needed?  Appreciate any thoughts.  

Mike, we've found that if we initially heat the water tank with propane (to get it hot fast), we can shut off the propane and just let the electric keep it hot. If you use a lot of hot water this may not work but it works fine for the 2 of us.

Why pay to heat your water when you can let the campground do it for you? <LOL>

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic