r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, CO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallystirring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, CO
    Posted: 24 May 2014 at 4:24pm
Hi, everyone! Just dewinterized, and we are ready for another fun summer with our Peapod! 
My husband and I are both teachers, and a happy perk is that we have several weeks during the summer when we can take off in our pod and do some traveling. I have been thinking about something that happened two summers ago when we did a big loop of the western states and hit most of the National Parks on the way. The trip was amazing, by the way--Rocky Mountain National Park, Yellowstone (where we spent our 20th anniversary), Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, and Zion. We looped back up to Estes Park for our last stop before heading home, where my husband surprised me with an overnight stay at the "haunted" Stanley Hotel (where Stephen King got the idea for The Shining)! It's a beautiful hotel, and well worth the visit....but you might want to leave your rPod somewhere else while you are staying there. We parked far away from the hotel in a second parking lot near the gatehouse at the entrance to the hotel grounds, so we wouldn't take up prime parking spaces. Even so, we were greeted as we were leaving by a terse note from the security officer that informed us that they don't allow RVs to park on their property. Too "tacky," I guess. Needless to say, that kind of ticked me off. We ended up having a conversation with the security officer in question, and I voiced my irritation at the implication that we were (apparently) somewhat undesirable guests. It was pretty awkward, but he ended up by saying that the owners don't want to encourage campers to park their vehicles in the lots because it doesn't look good. Really. So, just be forewarned that you may get to meet the security people if you park your pod at the Stanley. Does this sort of thing happen very often? I seriously had never considered that it would be an issue. Happy Memorial Day, all!

Connie, David, and the Peapod
Rpod 177 owners since 2011
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic