r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sailor25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailor25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Rpod
    Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:59pm
I tow a 151 with a 2013 pilot and average 12 to 14 mpg depending on wind or hills
Paul
2009 151
2011 subaru outback 4cyl
2013 Honda pilot 6cyl
jimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:25am
furpod,

Thanks for the insight makes perfect sense and exactly what I have experienced through the years.

Regards, Jim
Jim
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:20am
The fact is, it takes "X" amount of fuel and air to make the amount of horsepower needed to push the pod through the air. That amount is the same if you have a 4cyl or a V10.

Most everybody gets an average between 11-13mpg when towing the pod, REGARDLESS of what they get when not towing. A popup has zero, or almost zero, frontal area exposed when being towed, so it's only affect on mileage is weight, which is way less of an effect than the air drag has.

We have several owners towing with Pilots and Ridgies, and while I wouldn't like it, they are happy. 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
jimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:12am
My wife and I may purchase a new Rpod 177 to begin our retirement travels.  I have read articles that indicate you should expect half the "normal" fuel mileage when towing an Rpod.  We would likely tow with a 2012 or newer Honda Pilot.  We curerently tow an empty ~ 1500 lb (2000 lbs loaded) pop-up and get about 20 mpg. with a 2012 Pilot.  Does anyone care to share towing mileage specifically with a late model Honda Pilot or 2012 Nissan Frontier that gets 16 mpg. empty at best?

Regards, jimp - Forest Virginia
Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic