r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walls Separating from Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walls Separating from Floor
    Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 1:34pm
Has anyone had any experience with the walls separating from the floor? Could be catastrophic. Not sure if it can be adequately repaired.
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 2:18pm
Outside walls or inside?
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Don Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 2:37pm
The entire wall, inside and out.
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
The walls sit on the floor as far as I know. And the outer skin screws to the floor. At least that is the way it is on the back.   I had the back wall separate from the floor due to damage that I did. I pulled the aluminum trim off by backing into the ground on an incline and it tore the wall away. I removed the trim by taking all the screws out and replaced it. I put construction adhesive between the outer board of the wall and the floor. I then replaced the aluminum trim making sure that I moved the screws that had been stripped out to a little to the left or right.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the input on the rear wall. These are the side walls and probably the front. My concern is that the entire box might blow off the next time I get it on the freeway. Actually, my dealer pretty much confirmed that. He has offered to install brackets to tie the box back down, at my cost of course. My concern is: how long is that repair going to last? I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. The trailer hasn't been abused at all other than a lot of sometimes hard miles on the road.
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Don Johnston Don Johnston wrote:

Thanks for the input on the rear wall. These are the side walls and probably the front. My concern is that the entire box might blow off the next time I get it on the freeway. Actually, my dealer pretty much confirmed that. He has offered to install brackets to tie the box back down, at my cost of course. My concern is: how long is that repair going to last? I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. The trailer hasn't been abused at all other than a lot of sometimes hard miles on the road.

What you've experienced is certainly not something that is common or happens regularly on the R-Pod line.  You might consider contacting Forest River about an issue that large and get the warranty departments take on the issue.

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Don Johnston Don Johnston wrote:

As this is a very subjective term, could you go into more detail? We have lots of pods with lots of miles and many that have done the AlCan highway..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 8:29pm
Hard miles being the Alaska highway, with all its permafrost heaves and bumps, annual trips from Salt Lake to mid-Idaho, freeway speeds thru sunshine, wind and rain, multiple trips over route 150(the Mirror Lake highway) in Utah.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 10:57am
When on the AlCan etc.. what kind of speeds were you traveling? I know lots of people really go pretty quick up there.. I figured maybe you did a lot of BLM camping.. some of those roads are barely navigable at 5mph with the hubs locked in.. The pod just isn't an "off road" camper, and, like any other TT, won't hold up to a lot of hard hits and dips/ruts/bangs etc.

BTW, what model and year is this pod?? What is your tow vehicle, an do use a WDH? I would think talking to FR about it might not hurt, and doesn't cost a thing.. Your dealer has offered/suggested a "bracket" type fix as I understand it. I could see how this could repair it, and can guess they may have done it before, or else they wouldn't have brought it up. If the damage is from a 1 time hit/event, should be no problem.. but if the damage is somehow related to the way your particular pod is used or an issue with it's construction.. maybe won't help.. :(

Can you post pictures?

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 12:10pm
I really started out just trying to find out if this was a common problem, but here's a brief history.
The trailer is a 2010 RPT172 purchased in October, 2009. In the summer of 2010 I took it to Alaska via the Alaska highway. (The wording Alcan is not liked or used by any of the locals.). During that trip the trailer was never taken more than a couple hundred yards off highway, and then usually at commercial RV parks. I spent a couple of nights in turnouts just off the highway. Any off-road driving was done just in my truck. I was tempted, but did not drive the Dalton Highway. I try to drive the speed limit or up to 5 over. As I recall the speed limit in Alaska was 55, in Canada 70km. The problem in northern Canada and Alaska is the perma frost heaves and drops. You'll be driving along comfortably and all of a sudden the pavement drops out from under you, then in another 100 feet it comes back up again. Sometimes they are marked and sometimes not. I did restrict my speed in those areas but there were a few that I didn't get slowed down as much as I should have.
Here at home almost all my towing is done on hard top roads. I camp once or twice a year at a spot that's about two miles up a graded gravel road. The Mirror Lake highway that I travel a lot is a crooked high elevation paved road. Lots of turns and 10,000 feet elevation.
Perhaps my biggest detriment is my tow vehicle, a 2010 Chevy Silverado with a 6 Liter engine. I don't slow down for many hills. I drive to get to my destination, not to enjoy the scenery. I don't know what WDH is.
I have been and am still in contact with Forest River, since 2012 when we first noticed a problem, but so far they are claiming it's too far out of warranty.
This started out as a problem with movement that my dealer noticed. It has evolved to very distinct rub marks on the side of the trailer.
I have pics, but the file size is too large. I'll downsize one of them and repost.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic