r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

179 R-Pod Door Window Added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:47pm
I do not have our 179 anymore with the window I put in, sold it. But have a 180. I do still have the cut out though. From measuring the cutout it is 14" wide x 21.5" tall. Frank Bear could give you the exact measurements. His contact info as given by another Podder is:
   RV Teardrop Trailer Parts
   E-mail: frankbear007@gmail.com
   Contact us at (517) 741-5000
   http://teardroptrailerparts.com
Just tell him it is for an Rpod door and he will tell you.

Marv
2017 180 Rpod
2013 Nissan Xterra w/ air bags
Eph 2
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 10:57pm
Hi, I bought the window for the RPod 179 door, looks just like the one you installed, but my installer has moved away. Did you take the door off to do the install, or did you cut the hole and fit the window with the door still hung on the trailer? I am going to have a go at it this weekend. Thanks, Rana in Canada!
Rana from Canmore, Alberta
ORPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 11:23am
Rana, I did not take the door off, although the R-Pod Nation person whom I learned about the window from did. I did not want to screw up the friction hinge. So, I centered the window on the door and measured the same dimension from the top that was on the sides when it was centered. Helps to have two people - one to hold, one to mark. Upon marking the window perimeter with a pencil I drilled a hole inside the mark to get started. Then I used a jig saw with a metal edge to cut along the line. The fin around the window (maybe it was 1" to 1-1/2" wide) should cover any mistakes you make in not cutting straight. Measure/ mark twice and cut once. I cut from the inside of the door rather than the outside. Slow goes it when cutting without taking the door off. Sometimes placing some tape on the jig saw metal surface will keep it from scarring the surface outside your mark. Then screwing the two pieces together once it fit inside the hole was somewhat a hassle. A tight fit but never leaked and the rubber gasket was sufficient. I opened our window many times when camping to get a cross breeze. The window and door screens kept out the bugs. Good luck.
Eph 2
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:20pm
Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I am encouraged that you managed to cut the hole without taking the door off, I am also concerned that I would screw up the friction hinge! I will post a note when I have fitted the window and also try and upload a photo, would be my first time trying an upload! Thanks again.
MisterDWO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterDWO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 6:35pm
Hello samiam,

I would like to get one of these windows for my 2016 177. What are the window dimensions?

Thanks,
TheLoneRanger
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:31pm
Check ORPOD's post above of 26 July at 7.47pm, he has all the details you need there. I could have cut n pasted it but I think ORPOD deserves the credit for the research and the postSmile Fitting our window on Sunday, hope it stops raining!
JIMTAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:40pm
We really do want to install this window as the r-Pod would be even more wonderful with a door window! I wonder if anyone has any concern about the window being broken and the door opened that way?  Also, if we take the r-Pod down really rugged roads - is there any worry about the window popping out?  How sturdy is this installation?  We want it so badly that we are willing to take some changes!  
ORPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:46pm
JIMTAM, we never had one bit of trouble with the door or window after it was installed. The structural integrity of the door was fine. The window is structurally sound and helps strengthen the door. The inside of the door is Styrofoam with a plastic laminate surface. It has fiberglass outside was strong enough to hold it together. No de-lamination at all. Because the window comes in two pieces with the trim screwed through, it is a tight fit. There is a rubber gasket that is placed around the perimeter that fits between the window and the outside of the door. No leaks on mine and we went thru some strong rain and wind on the Oregon coast. The door closing and opening was fine. Because the door on the 179 opens against the wheel fender at the bottom it could possibly be tweaked over time if one pushed it hard enough at the top (or swung on it). But that could happen with or without the window. We traveled many logging roads and no problems. The glass is sturdy and the sandwich being screwed together makes a tight fit. If you are worried after installation, just check it every so often. I loved being able to see who was knocking on the door. We made a curtain to cover the window at night. Good luck with it and happy camping.
Eph 2
JIMTAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:17am
Thank you for such a helpful response!!  I so appreciate your effort to help us.

I assume we order the 14 by 21.5 window as mentioned above (I got nervous as one Amazon review - though I wouldn't order it from Amazon - said the window came and it wasn't square etc):  

I quote:

E-mail: frankbear007@gmail.com
   Contact us at (517) 741-5000 
   http://teardroptrailerparts.com
Just tell him it is for an Rpod door and he will tell you. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic