r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Bearings
    Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 11:24pm
About how many miles before you add a couple of squirts of grease to bearings? I have a 2012 Pod with bearing buddies on it. Thanks for any help
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 8:41am
Repack every 5000 miles and yearly squirts. After driving check wheel to see if it is too hot indicating need for grease. That should do it I think.   Tomcamper.
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
Road Warrior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:05pm
Thanks Tomcamper
RandyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 2:02pm
FYI- I had a bearing blow out and looked like it had plenty of greese, bearing failed.
RandyB
Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 7:32pm
2010 rpod 177. Greased as needed. Sat Six months for six years in cold north winter. Frozen grease and sitting in same place without moving killed the bearings which were recently replaced. Too cold and onable to move did them in!    
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
Ron 184 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron 184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 3:43pm
I have a 2016 R-pod 180, taken on about 8 camping trips less than 1000 miles total. Should I look at having the bearing check yet? Not using the camper as much as I would like.
R Woodward
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:58pm
I remove tires every season, get grease gun out and apply some new grease in each wheel (while rotating), I check for leaks or bad seals.  Another thing I do is travel with infared temp sensor and I monitor the temps of the wheel bearings.  Make sure they are not getting hot.  My plan is to pull hubs next year and visual inspect the hub areas and brakes.  That would be 5th year I have owned trailer.  One thing if you are using your trailer, lets say at 12,000 miles a year, you need to do thorough inspection every season.  Every owner is different.  OR you can take to any qualified trailer shop and have the entire hub/brake assy checked and corrected if necessary.  I'm mechanically inclined and retired so I do my own work.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic