r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R Pod water heater issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod water heater issues
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:42pm
Hello I am new to the forum and also the new owner of a 2011 R177 I bought the camper recently and did the de winterization  and sanitation process and lit the hot water heater all went well water got hot but when we went camping I could not get it to light again the red light beside the switch will not light up now. Could it be an electrical problem? No blown fuses or breakers thrown.

Also the furnace will try to light and go back out any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:17am
Originally posted by KYjim KYjim wrote:

Hello I am new to the forum and also the new owner of a 2011 R177 I bought the camper recently and did the de winterization  and sanitation process and lit the hot water heater all went well water got hot but when we went camping I could not get it to light again the red light beside the switch will not light up now. Could it be an electrical problem? No blown fuses or breakers thrown.

Also the furnace will try to light and go back out any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Hello to yet another Kentucky Podder, welcome to the group and your pod Jim.

If that red light comes on and stays on then there is a problem with your propane setup, this could also be affecting your furnace.

Sometimes you have to bleed the lines after you turn the propane on to get things to light properly.  A common trick is to light your stove burners and let them go for a minute or so and then attempt lighting other appliances again.

I only use my furnace once a year to test it.  Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 cycles to get it to light the first time each year, same for my fridge.

Your water heater could also be similar, did you try to use the electric heating option from the outside panel?

KYjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:57pm
I have been out of town for a few days and away from a computer. I think I know why the hot water heater wouldn't light because the electric element was keeping the water hot so the propane was not needed. I turned the switch off for the element and when the water cools I will try again.

But I cant get the furnace to light I can hear the ignitor clicking and I did see it light a couple times through the sight glass but it would go back out. Not sure what's up? I even had the cover off the furnace and opened the gas line and bleed it there and it made no difference.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:22am
If you had the water already hot, then no, the gas side of the WH won't light. It's not a pilot light, it only comes on to heat water. You can leave both the elec. and gas on, and will have faster recovery for multiple showers etc.

On the heater, it could be a few things, make sure the air inlet and outlet are not clogged or blocked. Could be the thermocouple, could be the sail switch. With it being a 2011, and here in KY, I would Check for debris in the air intake and exhaust, wasps will build nests etc.. 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic