r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-179 Rear Window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaPaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-179 Rear Window
    Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 11:28am
It would certainly be nice if the rear window, in the kitchen area, would open. Does anyone know if such a mod exists or has done it? Help. (Mama Paws is driving me nuts with this.)
Papa Paws
Mama Paws
Cody & Max our German Sheperds
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 10:26am
Since no one has answered yet, I'll toss in my .02.

I don't believe anyone has done this mod yet. The two biggest suppliers of RV windows seem to be Hehr and Kinro. Several years ago I did a window mod and I believe my 172 windows were made by Kinro. You may be able to find a window that size in either a double slider or tip out configuration. 

If not, it looks like there might be room for a vertical slider in the wall on either side of the kitchen counter, depending on where the studs fall. An opening window on the side opposite the door would provide some nice cross ventilation. 

Make sure to take pictures when you're doing the mod so other 179 owners can see.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Jan Herron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan Herron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 12:34pm
I don't thing a slide would be practical on a slanted window. But I'd love to have one open up at the bottom. Does anyone do that?
Jannie
Don & Teena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don & Teena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 8:18pm
I just purchased a new horizontal sliding glass window for the rear of our 179. I'm planning on installing it this weekend and was going to post the results.
I bought it direct from Clear Vision (my windows are Clear Vision, Elkheart Indiana). I ordered on their website after talking with them on the phone. If you check it out you'll see that you can only get clear glass (not the bronze glass like the stock 179 windows); however all that's needed is to request bronze glass on the order. It showed up the other day with the bronze glass, I had my fingers crossed on that.
It is a stock size, I removed the interior trim ring to measure the wall thickness as you have to specify that (think it was 1-5/16"). They make it so you can determine if its left or right side open (has weep holes top and bottom with plugs to put into the top, I'll seal them in with adhesive caulk).
It wasn't cheap, but I think it'll put us over the top. it was something we wanted to do from the first time we used the trailer.
Don & Teena

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:20am
I'm anxious to see your pictures. I've only been in the 179 once, but I think the back window is vertical, right?

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:52am
Yes, very much looking forward to an install post, and performance post.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don & Teena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 5:25pm
Here is inside and outside pictures. I put the window in yesterday. It was the exact same size as the original. it was pretty easy to take out the old and install the new. You'll need a foam gasket as the original has a bubble gasket that goes around the perimeter. It does take some doing to get the corners to lay as flat as the original to the skin. I water tested this morning, we're in  a drought in in Norcal so didn't run the water as long as I'd like, but no leaks.

I ordered the window from Clear Vision the OEM for the windows. The wall depth is 1-1/2" or you can re-use the original interior trim ring (this part holds the window in the trailer wall).
Don & Teena

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 7:40pm
That looks great. Nice job.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don & Teena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:26pm
Thanks!
It was pretty painless.
They didn't use a lot of caulk, I did, hope I don't have to take it out!
Don & Teena

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don & Teena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 1:33pm
I put a horizontal slider from Clear Vision Windows (my stock windows are from them, not sure if that's true for all Pods) last summer (see earlier post). I've been meaning to update this for a little while now. When I put the window in all was great, we loved being able to get air in the back without the door open.
When it started raining hear in Northern California I discovered water on my kitchen counter! Turns out rain fills the bottom of the window frame in the slider segment and spills into the trailer before it exhausts out the weep holes. Fortunately I had covered the wall opening with a window flashing membrane so I didn't get water into the wall, just onto the counter top. 
Long story short, I tried a couple of things to make this work, not happening. I took the window out last weekend and put the original fixed glass back in.Ouch
If the rear window is to be operable it would have to be an awning window that totally seals the bottom frame when closed.
Don & Teena
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic