r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 10:07pm
I realize I am quite late in posting on this however I wanted to add my 1 cents worth.  We have a 2011 model 177 and after the first winter of winterizing with RV antifreeze and fussing around with several attempts to rid the tank of that nasty taste and finally got rid of I have been a firm believer of the compressed air method.  This is our 4th year using compressed air, takes about 30 seconds, and  1 pint of antifreeze for the traps and we have had zero problems.  I am located in northern Michigan where we do get very rather cold during the winter months.  I know of quite a few others who use this method and none of them have had problems either.
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
DessertPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DessertPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:25pm
thanks for reply.  I went with the compressed air.  worked great.  
johnbryanpeters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnbryanpeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 8:17pm
I have been messing around with winterizing my RP-171 for the first time...

- In trying to clean black water tank after emptying it, the vacuum breaker pissed all sorts of water in the wall between bedroom and bathroom, still trying to sort that out...
- Pulled sacrificial anode and drained hot water tank after making absolutely sure electric heater was turned off, vacuumed residual water out of tank with the help of a piece of Tygon tubing...
- Used compressed air to blow most of the residual  water out of various and sundry lines...
- Opened freshwater tank and low point drains...
- Read manufacturer's manual for water pump, discovered that it's OK running dry, disconnected the output side and fired up the vacuum cleaner, turned on the pump, discovering that fresh water tank retains quite a few gallons of water after draining. Also discovered that one can route much of that to the pump by pushing up on the bottom of the tank. Planning to replace ell coming out of tank with a tee and another low point drain. I will be able to open the drain and "kneel" the trailer by lowering the tongue jack to dump residual water from tank and line. Really don't want to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
- Vacuumed out all the traps and the toilet; removed trap under kitchen sink. Planning to put a cup of antifreeze in shower and bathroom sink traps.
- Planning to leave black and gray water drains open and clamp some screening over drain to discourage critters.
- Refrigerator turned off, cleaned, door open.

Interesting learning exercise.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:26pm
You don't need to go thru all that with the FW holding tank. The small amount of water it holds can't hurt anything. When you suck up the anti freeze with the pump, it will fill the filter and pump with anti freeze. That's all the protection they need. Any water left in the pex lines is no big deal, it's freeze damage proof. Believe it or not, what you are REALLY trying to protect is the fittings, the fixtures, and the traps. The lines themselves are fine.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic