r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

September trip, MN, WIS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: September trip, MN, WIS
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:17am
In mid Sept. I took an 11 day trip with my 2015 179.  Started from home in south central MN, spent the first night at the Hobo Park Campground and Marina in Starbuck MN.  The sites are fairly small, on the lake with a newer shower bathroom building $33.00 a night with electrical,  You need a 50 to 35 adapter.  I rate it a B.  The next place was Perham MN. Parking in a friends yard for 2 nights for a Ham radio get together.  My next stop with a Federal campground on Leech Lake on the point between Walker Bay and the main Lake.  Very nice spot, boat launch available.  The cost  $26 a night with electrical.  I went up to Deer River MN and got a Federal senior park pass at the ranger station there.  Next overnight was at Indian Point campground in West Duluth.  It's $36 a night with electrical and only 10 minutes by freeway from down town and is a nice spot. From there, I crossed over into WIS. and traveled though Bayfield, Ashland down to Copper Falls State park.  The sites are set apart with foliage between, with electrical $36 a night.  (WIS raised it's rates by $10 this summer) This is one of the most beautiful parks I have been to.  Highly recommended.  Next I went to Stone Lake WIS and stayed overnight in a friends yard.  My last stay was 3 nights at Burnett state park in Cornell  WIS.  This park has sites very close together, no screening, on a Island in the Chippewa river.  I found little interesting in the area.  It Was $33 a night with electrical.  I continued down hiway 27 to 10, back up to Mondovi  and crossed the River back into MN at Wabasha.  I put on about 1230 miles for the trip, almost all of it on 2 lane roads with hills, and turns.  Most of the roads were bumpy and narrow.  I averaged 11.56 MPG for the trip, with about 1100 miles towing.  My 2007 F-150 and the Pod worked perfectly.  I checked the pod over carefully and can see no stress problems.  I drove at about 60 MPH except during about 5 hours of heavy rain, my only bad weather.  My mileage is better than I every got towing my 171.  The 179 is heavier but I think the backend shape makes it a bit more aerodynamic.  I've stayed in the 179 for over 30 nights this year and find it to be very livable.  I met a couple in Duluth who had a 179.  They had a 30 foot motor home prior but loved the Pod.  I gave tours to a number of folks and always find it interesting with all the models and makes out there, how the Pods seem to stand out.

Lark  F-150 R-179Smile
Lark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic