r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

182g mods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronhanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 182g mods
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:01pm
Ive had my 2013 182g for a year now after downsizing from a 37ft class A. I like to tinker with things and have spent a considerable amount of time on the electrical/mechanical side of things. I wanted to post a link to some pictures here since i also benefited from looking at others work on this site. 

Modifications include
200W roof mount solar setup
inverter
dual 6v batteries
dual propane tanks
and some other goodies.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:27am
I am confused why you replaced the converter/charger, and then added another charger? The PD w/ Charge Wizard is a solid 4 stage charger with desulfation cycles. What do you feel you gain with an extra 40A charger, that, at least in my case (PD9260), the PD 60A 4 stage doesn't do?
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
ronhanson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronhanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 4:53pm
The BD charger was installed when it still had the WFCO converter in it which was a horrible charger. The PD was recent and I havent confirmed how many amps it will hold in bulk mode yet so I'm not disconnecting the BD just yet. Also, I dont think the PD really desulfates in the traditional sense, it just applies 14.4 volts for 15mins every 24hrs to stir the electrolyte. Not random wide range high frequency pulsing like the BD or batteryminder do for extended periods of time to dissolve the sulfation crystals. With the BD I can also isolate the rest of the 12v on the trailer, let that run off the converter, and charge the batteries separately. The charging isolation is overkill and I don't plan on using it often since I also have the batteryminder full time desulfator, but I got 7 yrs out of my last set of batteries on my last rig and they were still in good shape so I'm not inclined to change my approach much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic