r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power_ Battery, Solar, Generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power_ Battery, Solar, Generator
    Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 12:07pm
Hello R-Podders,
I just got mine and stayed at a campsite with electric. I didn't know the refrigerator would keep running after I disconnected to power. So know I have a dead battery :-(

My R-pod is in the driveway. Can I just connect the power to the outlet in the garage to recharge the Battery?

Also I am going to be doing dry camping in July. I am worried about buying the Zamp Portable Solar. It seems very easy to steal. Is there a way to lock it while it is collecting energy?

What generator do you recommend?
FreeRangePod
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:44pm
Yes, you can plug in at home. The battery will recharge. Hopefully it isn't ruined.

Solar may or may not be the answer for boondocking, a lot depends on where, and how you boondock. We have done 5 days, no recharging, but we run dual batteries. A portable solar array is in fact.. portable. I know of no way to lock them up, and have them in the sun.

If you only need the genny to run the smaller 120v stuff/loads, and not the air conditioner, then any of the 2000watt inverter types will do. If you need to run the a/c.. whole other deal. Either the dual Honda 2000i's or the Yamaha 2400i are the gold standard, so to speak.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
FreeRangePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:56pm
Hi Furpod,
Thank you for the advice. I noticed one person had modified their R-Pod to put permanent Solar panels on the roof. Wouldn't be able to adjust for the Sun, but I would think less likely to be stolen. Do you think on the roof would work as well or better since there 24/7?

Thank you,
FreeRangePod
FreeRangePod
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:03pm
I am not a fan of on the roof, because where we camp, we are almost always under trees, and like it that way, also, on the roof, you can't "aim" the panels at the sun. Solar is very very dependent on sun/panel angle. If I was in the desert southwest, maybe.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
ronhanson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronhanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:06pm
roof mount keeps your batteries topped off in storage also. Handy for those of us that cant store plugged in. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:08am
Thank you Furpod,
My battery recharged to full again.
FreeRangePod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 7:30pm
I am dry camping now and I got the 80 Zamp solar. It wants me to set the battery type. AGM, wet, gel..
Anyone know what kind the RPod 178 has?
FreeRangePod
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 9:01pm
if the battery was dealer installed it would be a group 24 wet cell.  Most are dual use so can be deep charged a bit more than a regular car battery.  I installed a group 27 troling motor battery which is wet but larger.  your  solar panel will basically trickle charge the battery.
Lark f-150 R-179 
Lark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:33am
Thank you. I'll set to wet.
FreeRangePod
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic