r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Full-Timer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousLinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full-Timer?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 7:53pm

Hi Folks,

Newbie poster, non-Pod owner - yet – but it’s just a matter of time.  I joined this forum and have been reading hundreds of posts.  I read all of the Pod mods topic pages and am on page 50 of the 77 maintenance topic pages.  Plus some other topics as well.

Background:  I’m 62, single woman in decent health, looking to retire to a Pod and travel around the country a bit, see some places I haven’t seen yet, meet some friends I haven’t met yet, and generally enjoy life.  After a lot of research, I picked the Pod because it has everything I need in a small space, and will make towing, living, and maintenance do-able for me.  I don’t intend to travel all 52 weeks per year, I have friends/relatives in NM and NJ who will let me park my Pod on their property for as long as I want.  But I and my dog/s will still be living in the Pod full time, traveling when it suits me, and mostly staying where it’s not too cold or too hot.

I have questions that I am hoping some of you experienced folks can answer.

First, is there anyone on this forum who is a full-timer?  If so, I’d love to hear how that’s working for you.  Can a Pod take the kind of 24/7/52 beating that full time living is going to give it? 

Also, because this will be my home, and I will probably be boondocking a lot, which do you all think would make more sense – a second battery, or a generator, or both?  I also plan to take advantage of the solar package and have a movable solar panel. 

I want my comforts and my entertainment, because I’m not camping, I’m living.  I want to run my TV and my radio whenever I want, and my heater and my a/c, and I want to charge my phone and watch movies and do email on my laptop, etc etc.   My fridge will be on, I’ll be cooking on my stove top and in my microwave, I’ll be using the bathroom, etc.  The whole 9 yards.

I’m really liking the 179 with its rear kitchen, and I want to take another look at the 180, too.  I’m getting a tow vehicle like the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Nissan Xterra, 5000 lbs towing capacity.

Anything you think I should know, please feel completely free to mention it.   This is a BIG lifestyle change for me.  The last time I was camping, it was in tents.  Honestly, living in a small space will not be a challenge to me, but I am slightly concerned about the everyday maintenance issues, as well as being safe and warm and dry.

Thanks,

Linda

Linda
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:08am
Hi Linda
Welcome to the Pod world!

I have spent over 100 nights in my 2015 R-179.  I have found it to be a very practical floor plan.  It has a fair amount of storage, the kitchen works well and you don't feel closed in.  I just got back from the Black hills towing it about 1200 miles without problems  If you wish to camp off grid and want to run the air, you need a 3000 watt generator which weigh about 100 pounds, or you can buy 2 Honda 2000 watt generators and use the kit to couple them together.  They weigh 46 pounds each.  If you are not using Air,  one 2000 watt will run everything else. You do want a invertor type generator for clean quiet power and they are reliable. The POD is not really built for full timing, however all the mechanical systems are high quality and should do you fine.  Good luck and safe traveling.

Lark F-150 R-179  MN
Lark
CuriousLinda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousLinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 12:01pm
Hi Lark,

Thanks for your response and for the good advice!
Linda
AJF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:53pm
Hello...not a full-timer, but do have a 2016 179. We are very pleased with the overall quality and design of this floor plan.

Would suggest dual batteries and dual propane tanks for boondocking. We also have Zamp 120 solar panel, which we can also use for maintaining batteries on our boat.

We have not purchased a generator yet, but when we do, we plan to use the Honda 2000 inverter series, wired parallel, which will provide enough juice for the A/C, if needed.

You might consider installing a DC to AC inverter, as well.
CuriousLinda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousLinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 12:46am
Thanks AJF!  I fell in love with the floor plan of the 179, it just felt so light and open!  What are you towing with?
Linda
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 8:11am
I would not full time in a Pod. As much as I love them, they are probably not up to that kind of everyday usage. That said, I know some owners do.

You should add a couple 12v outlets with USB chargers built it. A small inverter, for small loads is a good idea, 250watts or less.

As suggested above, dual tanks, or at least a 30pounder in the stock holder, and dual GC2 6v batteries if going off grid for very long. If you are going to boondock where a/c is needed, the ONLY answer is generator. Many full timers move with the seasons, trying to minimize the need for heat and air..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
pod people View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pod people Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:29pm
We are not full timers. We use our 173 for long , multi-week trips.  We have been out for as long as 10 weeks and are starting a 4 month trio in early august.  We have owned our pod since 2011.

One thing that we decided that was important was a comfortable bed. A lot of people use mattress toppers, some use sheets, others use sleeping bags, etc.  Main thing is to thik about how you will  live/lounge/sleep as well as cook/read, computer/watch tv. etc.  don't be afraid to make modifications that will make your pod more efficient, more personal and overall better for you.

We try to take everything(clothes, cooking stuff, tools, ) to be able to have multi functions to the extent possible.  We try not to take a lot of extra stuff, but what we realistically will need and use.
We store our food in sheet rock buckets or tucker totes underneath the bed.

Think also about what can live in your tow vehicle. Develop a packing system that lets you use the effective space behind the seats, on the floor or maybe a roof rack with a rocket box. The pods have a lot of cubic space if you can use it.

good luck

Vann

jglynn55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 10:57am
my 2 cents - If you have not purchased yet - we found that a full shower in the 180 is more important than the bigger kitchen in the 179 - we don't use the stove much.  Give the dinette seating a good test to see which one you like.  We have a 179 and love it but we don't use the shower - only bath houses at rv parks.  Using the bath houses for full timing might get old. 
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:51am
I just spent 6 nights dry camping at the "Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion"  with about 800 other RV's of all types and sizes.  (mine was the only pod).  A good 90% of the campers were using Honda inverters, many with a pair of 2000's and a external gas tank.  The folks who attend this type of event dry camp a good share of the time.  Most everyone ran on battery at night.  As for full timing in a pod,  As I have stated before, I wouldn't.  A good inverter generator is the best investment for this type of use.  Mine is 10 years old and I've put a lot of hours on it.  I change oil after any extended use.  Ihave 1 group 28 deep cycle battery and it works well.

Lark F-150 R-179
Lark
DessertPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DessertPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 6:36pm
would one 2000w and a 1000w work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic