r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carrying the generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandybeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carrying the generator
    Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 10:01pm
Where does everyone pout the generator while traveling? Any concern about gas odor? Same question concerning the gas container.

We just purchased a Honda 2000, going a week dry camping at Acadia.

We did a mod to add a 2nd battery after last year dry camping in Canada - I have to learn how to charge the batteries!! and I'm a bit afraid of a electric shock. Or causing irreparable damage ect.

My 40 amp solar does not seem to do much in my shady site I had last year. WE were running tow vehicle to get a bit of lighting and keep devises charged.

Sandy
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:50pm
Did you get an answer to this, yet? Personally, I wouldn't carry anything inside my R-Pod that contains petroleum products, including a generator, unless it is completely drained of fuel...fumes and potential for fire outweigh the need. I'll excuse the oil in the crankcase, but absolutely no fuel. I also won't carry anything like that inside my tow vehicle for the same reasons. If you have a pickup truck, then you're OK tossing whatever you want in the bed.

There are several types of exterior racks available for carrying generators and fuel. One I like attaches to the trailer tongue...do a search and you'll come up with several.
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:06am
Your solar panel is 40 watts a measurement of power out put.  This would provide only a trickle charge and not really charge the batteries.  When you connect two batteries together, they must be a matched pair of the same age.  The internal resistance of the batteries must be the same.  Otherwise one battery will overcharge and go dry.  If you are driving a non  pickup type vehicle, a external rack is best for a generator.  You won't really get a shock off a 12 volts.   I've worked with heavy equipment systems and have only felt a slight tingle when being very wet.  The main thing is to make sure when connecting a charger is  Plus to plus and minus to minus  +  and -  Always use distilled water to fill the battery cells.  If unsure have a dealer show you how to do it.  Be careful about causing a short circuit across a battery. 

Lark  F-150 R-179
Lark
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:41pm
Do you have a link for that tongue generator carrier?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 5:02pm
The Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray is what I have, it is capable of holding 300 lbs, I do not put anywhere near that on my TT.  I use it to store and carry a single 2K genset, I use for emergency purposes.  Many use the Honda and Champion gensets, like the Honda 2K with Companion, it would be best carried in a pick up bed.  The Stromberg Carrier is easily found doing a interweb search or with GOOGLE.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:14pm
I have the Honda 2K with Companion. But I don't have a pick up. Got an SUV. I wish there was a way to add a carrier either to the back of the SUV (which might be tricky since the hitch is already occupied) or to the tongue. The Stromberg carrier is just a small tray for l gen.
Tibof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tibof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:38pm
When you run your generator and the Pod is plugged into it, your batteries will charge.  As for carrying the Honda generator, my son's Pod has a very nice rear carrier that was custom built.  But you will need the Honda cover and a little tent to run it in the rain.  The generator fits nicely into it, and a sliding bar with a lock prevents easy theft.  I will try to post a photo. Nothing prevents a determined thief.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:00am
Oliver,

DO they make a front mount 2" receiver for your SUV?  Possibly adding that and a 2" receiver tray you could carry the gensets at the front of SUV.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Tibof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tibof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:29pm
Tibof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tibof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:43pm
Problem loading images.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic