r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some Positive Stories, Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdtrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Positive Stories, Please
    Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 10:09pm
Hi, 
We are new to this forum and hope to hear some really positive stories about r-pods.  We are very interested in purchasing a 180 Hood River Edition.  It seems perfect for us.  However, then I start searching the forums and read things about the  off-road tires blowing out, black water tanks falling off, terrible water pumps, leaks, decals not lasting long and more.  There are comments about how the quality was better before they became so popular.  

While I don't doubt the people who posted about these things, we would like to think all of this is the exception and not to be expected.  We want to purchase quality; it is really important as our recent experience with a camper has been a nightmare because the quality control in that company had gone to pot since we bought our first camper from them. 

So please, who has enjoyed a trouble free R-pod ---- what can we expect.  We see so many on the road and we really, really like what we see. 

Thank you

Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:10pm
Welcome jdt!   Many use the forum for advice and problem solving. We have a 2010 177. Many had said the mattress, door lock, tongue jack, were inferior and we had to replace them in the first year. Not very expensive to do. Since then has been good. Did many mods to improve. Replaced bearings this year but we store for long periods n very cold weather. We love our rpod and with those exceptions has been great. We are taking soon a 5000
Km trip in BC mountains.   Hope this helps. We intend to keep it and continue mods and good maintenance.
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:54pm
I had a R-171 for 5 years with no problems and am in my second season with a 2015 R-179.   No problems with either.

Lark f-150  R-179
Lark
jdtrotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdtrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 6:55pm
Thank you Lark, that is really good to hear.

Tomcamper, thank you and  to the your response brought up another question in my mind.  We just got back home to California from a trip to Alaska and the Yukon, so we are wondering how well the R-pod does on dirt and gravel roads?  Last year we went up the Dempster highway to Inuvik and I don't think we would take a trailer on that road, but in the Yukon and Alaska there are a lot of dirt and gravel roads.  
We also travel in Baja and while we don't do heavy off-roading, again we do like dirt roads.  

As the closest dealer to where we live is California is over 200 miles away, we hope to not need to  return for many warranty issues and repairs.  

Hope to hear from more.  

Thanks

Tomcamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tomcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 10:29pm
We do gravel roads slowly ano not extensively. Would not do Dempster. Rpod is low to the ground even with 4 inch axle risers. Dust gets in anyway. With WD hitch and 4 point sway control it handles well. Hope this helps.
Tomcamper
2016 4runner
Dreampod 177

06 GMC Envoy
DavidW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DavidW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 6:26pm
Hello jdtrotter,

I think that you will find that most of us are out camping and having a wonderful time.  So much so that we often forget to post here.

This forum generally tends to be one which is great for trouble-shooting and getting ideas for mods.

If you are a FB (Facebook) user, you should also join "R-Pod Owners" and "R-Pod Favourite Campsites" which is where many of us post write-ups and photos about our trips.

David 
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
And Lily (our 8 yr old Golden)

jdtrotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdtrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:54pm
I love hearing all of this---   Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic