r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"no ceramic heater"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "no ceramic heater"
    Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 5:13pm
Been using ceramic heater for years.  Interestingly I can not run two of heaters I have, they trip GFCI CB.  One has always been adequate and have spent a winter (OCT-DEC) in my Pod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:36pm
I use a small ceramic heater. It's not designed to minimize moisture, but warms the place up nice and quick. I turn the fantastic fan on and crack window. I have a humidity gauge..no problem mate.
SCYankees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCYankees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
We use a Duraflame heater in ours and don't have any condensation issues.  I always crack the window some and open the vent in the bathroom and turn on the fan for air flow.

Pat
Al and Pat Trudeau

R-Pod 196 Owners
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:04pm
A) Most small ceramic heaters have a fan.. both of ours do..

B) Condensation is ALWAYS a problem in the tight confines of the Pod. Keep the FF vent cracked open a bit.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
ChetC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChetC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
I completely heat with a ceramic heater(s) (one near the door, one in the main area when I know it's going to dip in the 30s/40s and just the one by the door when warmer) as I am pretty much always plugged in to shore power.  The key is to leave the roof vent cracked about an inch or so.  This causes your heater to run more, but the air movement out of the roof vent is enough to take the humidity with it.  I've never had issues and regularly stay in colder temperatures in the spring and fall.
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 3:13pm

I don't need an electric heater anymore, I use the HWT as boiler and put in hot water heating. It is very quiet and I'm very pleased with it.

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Ashlandjet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashlandjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:40pm
Hi all
This probably isn't really worth posting but had me curious. I just ordered a heater for my new 178. Why waste the propane when hooked up at the power pedestal right. I ordered a ceramic heater, and ended up ordering one on the expensive side. I wanted one that wasn't too large dimension wise, had the tip over safety feature, could be adjusted to both 1500w and a lesser amount for watt management while camping etc. The heater that I ended up with that met all the criteria was one of the pricier ones...oh well. 

Then this morning (the day after my order) I happen to be reading the Forest River "Travel Trailer Owner's Manual" that came with my R-Pod. This is Forest River's generic manual that covers all the trailers. While reading I came to the "Condensation and Humidity" section where it gives you common sense advice  where to try and keep the humidity level, buy a cheap monitor, consider a small dehumidifier, use vent, open windows when showering..etc...etc. then I came across the last paragraph/suggestion

"Do not use a ceramic heater as it provides no air movement, which will not aid in ridding the RV of condensation."

I basically decided not to pay any attention to this, but thought it was kind of odd that FR would go out of their way to state this. Maybe it won't help condensation, but it can't hurt...can it?

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic