r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-179 Couch to Futon Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kouka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-179 Couch to Futon Upgrade
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:06pm
I tried my best to give a step-by-step of how I did the mod, but I was winging it so hopefully this makes sense! First off, I opted to go with a futon I found on walmart.com because it was a little wider and deeper than the IKEA one.

What I chose: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quilted-Memory-Foam-Futon-Teal/45005247?variantFieldId=actual_color

IKEA Balkarp model: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00376932/

What I found after I already started the mod that would fill the space better (but might not work with drawer slides): http://www.valuecityfurniture.com/product/item/bedroom/beds/futons/phyllo-futon-sofa-bed-black/1585188?utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CIDvyLOl8tMCFRNXDQod-Q8G9g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Step 1: I measured the space and it was 75-1/2" x 23ish", so I cut a piece of 3/16" board to that size to lay in the space for 2 reasons: 1. Attach everything to that to avoid screwing into the walls/seat portion of the RPod, 2. There's a seal strip that runs across the front and I want the futon to slide over that to avoid prematurely wearing it out. [HINDSIGHT EDIT: I should've used 1/4 for a little better clearance]

Step 2: Since my futon is 70" wide and the space is 75-1/2", I had space to fill on the sides that would also be used to attach the drawer slides. After some measuring/trial & error, I found that 2 1x4"s with scrap 3/16" sandwiched between worked. [HINDSIGHT EDIT: I would've put the 3/16" piece on the inside so I wouldn't have to notch out the 1x4"s to fit over the trim. You could cut the trim out, but I was trying to alter the RPod as little as possible]

Step 2.5: With my side pieces cut, I drew a line where each one sits on the 75-1/2" x  23ish" piece, took it outside, and then screwed the 2 side pieces to it from underneath.

Step 3: If you do nothing to the futon, chances are it's going to sit about 3" away from the wall in couch mode. I almost left mine that way, but I was feeling adventurous and wanted that 3" extra floor space, so I trimmed the back piece 2-3/4" (just to be safe).
I flipped the futon, back side up, and removed some of the staples from the black back fabric to peel it down so I could see the frame. Then, using a jigsaw, I cut the back 1x1" piece off first (see the image), then cut my 2-3/4" off, reattached that 1x1", and put back the black fabric. This took some time since my jigsaw had to cut through some of the fasteners the factory used, but I'm glad I did it.

Step 4: I wanted my futon to work like a drawer, and instead of trying to screw the drawer slides directly into it, I thought it would be sturdier/work better to put it on a sleigh. With the futon face down, I used the extra piece of 3/16" board (It was originally 4ft x 8ft, so there was a strip 25ish x 8 ft long leftover) and layed it on the futon. I bought some 3/4"x2" oak board for just this, so i cut my pieces and attached the first one by screwing from the bottom of the 3/16" board.

With that attached and snug against the futon, I went to the other side and put my other strip snug against it too. Then I marked it with a pen directly onto the 3/16" board so i could cut that to length (without measuring) and attach the 2nd side strip.

Step 5: Before attaching the sleigh to the futon, I took it inside to give it a test run..

Step 6: Attach sleigh to the bottom of the futon. I added a handle on the front to help with pulling it out (and since my futon came as 2 pieces, it would also connect them)

Materials:
(2) 1x4" 6ft long
(1) sheet of 3/16 fiber board. It wasn't called that, but it was at Home Depot. I got them to cut the 75-1/2"x23" piece to get into my car
(1) handle
Drawer slides - If you trim the back like I did, get 16". If you leave it, 12"
Screws - I had 1-1/2" drywall screws already, so I used them for everything - to sandwich the side pieces, attach them to the bottom 3/16" sheet, and attach the oak strips to the sleigh.

Out of step with Jah world.
gnawbone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnawbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:33am
I'd like to replace the dinette in my 180 with a futon. Your photos and description are nicely done. Have to see what will work in the 180, but I enjoyed seeing your work.
thank you for posting and sharingSmile
Buck Gilpin
Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it!
2016 R-180
2017 Toyota Tacoma
2004 Dodge 3500

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic