r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R179 Interior modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mggaffney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R179 Interior modification
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm
The 2018 model 179 comes standard with a dinette in the slide with an awkward folding table that seemed to always be in the way.  Despite the initial protests from my camping partner who could not for the life of her understand why I was tearing into a brand-new camper, I proceeded with a number of mods which dramatically increased the inside legroom and comfort.   The dinette cushions were replaced with a black faux leather Futon (Amazon BestProducts for $169).  The two gray upholstered 179 leg-rests were shortened by 10 inches each, reupholstered with a staple gun and remounted to act as guides for the Futon when the slide comes in making way for the two moveable black leather leg rests.  A small bookshelf was added next to the Futon to hold books and remotes (it actually was found on Amazon as a black CD library shelf but fit the bill perfectly for $29).  The existing table frame was replaced with a single pole chrome table support with top and bottom mounting flanges (Amazon $29). Note: The table must be removed when retracting the slide but can stay in place when the Futon folds out to the bed!   The pantry had a second shelf added.  The closet had two removable shelves added.  The Jensen stereo was remounted with a 1 inch shim on the top which tilted the display downward so it can be read from the floor.  A 100 watt solar panel was added to the roof and the wiring was hidden inside the molding and enters the cabin through the tail light.  The solar charge controller is mounted near the entrance door in the stove counter wall along with a 12 volt courtesy port.  The inside and outside speakers were both replaced with thin-line 2 way marine speakers from Polk Audio (Amazon)

I attach the some pictures of the completed upgrade.  Questions and other pictures available upon request

mgg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic