r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 2017 RP-171

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremyrperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2017 RP-171
    Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 6:32pm
I actually bought the 171 brand new back in October, but didn't join the site until now.  It looks like a great community here, and I joined to keep abreast of the in's and out's of owing an R-Pod.

I'm based out of Seattle, and current TV is a 2015 BMW X3 diesel that I bought as a used lease return.  Despite the 3.5k towing capacity on my X3, it tows the R-Pod quite well even with a modest amount of gear, water, and a couple of people.  That of course is due to the diesel's torque output.  I can manage 55-60 up 6+% grades and have already logged Crystal Mountain, Sea to Sky, Stevens Pass, and White Pass.  As you can guess, I'm a skier, but I plan to use the R-Pod for quite a few warm season excursions.  Average towing MPG is 17-18 so far, compared to 34+ highway MPG when unloaded, so the near 50% drop off is pretty par for course, but not too bad since even more tow capable vehicles would struggle at to get the same tow MPG that I do, and the non-towing MPG just about can't be beat.

As time goes on, I'll be sure to share some of the things I've learned.  I'll also be happy to answer any questions others have.  The obligatory picture of my setup is below.  I'm to the right.  Two good friends of mine have the Jeep/A-frame combo.

Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:04am
Wow, I admire your adventuresome spirit. Welcome! I too just joined and have a 171. As a retiree, not a big cold-weather fan anymore!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic