r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar newbie
    Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:49pm
Thanks for the helpful replies. I've never used solar, and find it confusing, but this helps. I will probably learn by doing, down the road as my needs arise and reveal themselves...
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:52pm
+1, I guess answering his first question wasn't very important:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:32pm
I will try one more time..

Do you boondock? If so, for how long at a stretch?

Do you understand, all that solar panels do is charge the onboard battery? They don't "power" anything, and do nothing to operate any of the 120v systems while disconnected from shore power.

The zamp panel sets are, IMHO, overpriced and over rated. An 80watt panel is going to generate 5amps on paper only. In REAL use, plan on 2 amps or so an hour over the course of a sunny day, and maybe a bit more if you realign the panels every hour or so.

So they can replace, in real life, 20aH's or so a day of your battery storage.

Again, without knowing how much 12v you are using now, the way you are using the Pod when off grid, and what your storage plan is, it's near impossible to recommend much.

On dual T-105 batteries, the wife and I could easily do 10 days without recharging. Unless you intend to be off grid for longer then that, or need to run 12v C-Paps at night, or have some other high draw 12v need.. A second battery, and properly taking care of them, will take you as far as solar will, and with a lot less hassle.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:10pm
I found this from Back Country Solar: Zamp 80W portable folding suitcase kit. "provides 5 amps of charging power". $516. Can somebody tell me if this is a good idea for somebody who has a 2016 R-pod 171. I'm not solar savy so this one looks user friendly for me, a first time solar newbie. What will this system do for me?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:23am
BTW - Harbor Freight lists 1 - 100 watt solar kit.  Not a lot of options, but enough for a standard user, I would also recommend you look at the solar cable adapter kit as you may connect to the zamp connector.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:23am
Attached is a link to Forest River brochure.  Info.  You need panels and a controller, and the Pod is prewired for solar - ZAmp, there is a ton of options.

Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:13am
Well.. there isn't much we can do if you have that attitude and approach.
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:13pm
Guess not since I'm asking what I need..duhhhh
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:45am
What do you want to do? have you evaluated your needs?
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 6:56am
I'm going to Harbor Freight to check out their solar kits. I have a 2016 171 which is solar ready. Any suggestions? What do I need?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic