r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Maintenance While in Storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dastrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dastrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Maintenance While in Storage
    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:17pm
Congratulations on your new 180. I have a 2017 180 and loving it. I installed a battery disconnect switch and then also have it hooked up to a “Battery Tender” when it’s parked at the house! I don’t have the model number for the Battery Tender right now because I am out camping! The Battery Tender runs thru all the cycles to keep for plating. I have them pretty much on everything around my house, spare truck, boat and generator. I just perotically check the fluid levels but it a pretty much plugin and forget. Hope this helps
Redshift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 4:14pm
I am new to RV'ing and have recently purchased a 2018 R-Pod 180 with solar.  I recently built a garage for it at our place in New Mexico.  Considering that I may have to store it in this garage for 3 or 4 months unattended over winter, would it be better for me to plug my R-Pod 180 into a 110 outlet to maintain a constant battery charge or would it be better to disconnect both batteries (I have two - one is for solar)?  If I do leave it plugged in, should I put it on a timer so it will only charge a few hours a day?  I am not sure if this R-Pod 180 has a trickle charger or whether even if that would still be safe to leave plugged in unattended for 3 months.  I have googled this topic and have gotten a lot of varying answers.  Some say even trickle charging causes the fluid to dry out and get sulfate deposits.  Also, does this R-Pod have a battery disconnect switch somewhere or is removing terminals the only way to disconnect power if I decide to go that route?  Any insights would be appreciated.  I posted this question in the R-Pod Owners Forum, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic