r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connect Tarp shade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connect Tarp shade
    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:16am
Anybody know the best way to connect a tarp for shade? I have the poles and guy wires but connecting it to the rail??
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:45am
Best way is to get 13mm or 14mm Keder Welting and have it sewed into one end of tarp.  Amazon sells Keder Wlelting as do other places.

In a pinch, duct tape some 1/2" rope into the trailer side and slide that into keder rail.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:27pm
Wow, that keder welting is just what I needed. 13 or 14 mm for 2016 171? Are all keder rails the same? Also, since I'm doing it, and having it sewn, why not use canvas instead of plastic tarp right? Something nice that will last. The only problem is measuring it because of the curve of the r-pod...?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 5:39pm
Yes, approximately a 1/2", your pod has that size keder.  There was a change, but it was years ago.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 4:13pm
I want to order some keder welting but there is a lot of different sizes on Amazon. How do I know I'm getting the right one and size for my 2016 171?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 4:37pm
Well, it is a 14mm keder rail.  You can order 14MM and it will be tight or 13MM and it will fit better with the tarp material.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 6:27pm
is the tarp material rapped around the welting and then sewed into the narrow strip? It looks like the one on my R-dome is smaller.I havn't used the R-dome.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 9:17am
Wrapped around it or inserted into and folded edge and secured.  The older pods had a 9-10mm keder, the newer pods 14mm.  If the inside diameter of your keder rail is about 1/2" it is a 14mm keder rail.  I suggested 13mm to give yourself some room for the tarp material.  That is your call.  You can always measure and see what size keder welt you have, measure on the pod.  You could sew the welt directly to the tarp, without a fold or wrap, but there can be a lot of stress on that welt.  Look at your rdome and see how that welt is attached.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 9:59am
I looked at the R-dome and the welt on it is only 9mm. The material is sandwiched between the extended part, not rapped around. But I agree with you, with the stress I want to wrap it around. I guess the 9mm R-dome welt is big enough to not come out of the rail, but I want it bigger since my keder rail is about 1/2 in. I might go with 14mm but can't seem to find it on Amazon. I went to Lowes and asked them if they had any keder welt and all I got was a blank stare.
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 1:02pm
If you have a 2016 pod and your keder rail is 1/2" and your keder welting is 9 mm the dealer unloaded an old r-dome on you. The r- dome will fall out of the rail.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic