r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tongue storage box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tongue storage box
    Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:13pm
Anybody successful in installing a tongue storage box. Maybe one big enough to store two batteries? I'm looking for a way to increase battery power and propane.
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:11am
They make A frame storage boxes and rectangular ones, just need the one that fits your needs.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:23am
Just find one that fits the space, and will open/clear the front of the Pod.. as a note, 2 GC2 batteries and dual tanks are dead nuts simple to mount. Unless you intend to be off grid, in the great white north in the dead of winter, that's enough propane to run the fridge, water heater, and cook with for a couple three months, and if you need more, swap the the 20's for 30's... If not running the heater blower, (biggest power user in the Pod) you can stay out for at least 2 weeks pretty easy on dual GC2's. We did it several times.

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 6:34pm
What is a GC2, a golf battery?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Oliver Oliver wrote:

What is a GC2, a golf battery?

Well.. golf carts use many sizes and kinds of batteries now days, but Yes, originally, the size of battery known as a GC2 was developed for golf carts. 2 6v GC2's on the tongue will fit, and are the most aH's you can put on the tongue without modification to the Pod. You can go with seperate boxes, or you can get a single box..

'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 4:50pm
Furpod, In other words I can double my capacity with 2 batteries and 2 tanks. Do you know a good place to get the single battery box you show and duel tanks and hookups?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Oliver Oliver wrote:

Furpod, In other words I can double my capacity with 2 batteries and 2 tanks. Do you know a good place to get the single battery box you show and duel tanks and hookups?

For the tank mount, this is one, they can be found many places, any and every RV shop I have ever been in has them. Down in the "bought with" section you can see a link to an auto changeover regulator and new dual pigtails. Some owners switch to those, some just switch the single tank pigtail manually.

I will admit, the single battery box is a little more difficult to track down..

here is where I got mine..

'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:32pm
Thanks for that. What batteries are you using?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:51pm
Those were Trojan T-105's..  I highly recommend, unless you are doing pretty serious boondocking and need every last bit of power possible, getting a set of Duracell GC2's, from Sam's or Costco.. 95% of the performance for 50% of the money...

That said.... If I knew I was just starting out, and was going to be pushing the boondock envelope at this point.. I would wait a couple months and watch for Trojan's new "Trillium" batteries that are getting ready to come out, they are 12v, lithium iron chemistry, expensive as heck in the short run, but cheaper then SLA batteries over time... You would need to upgrade your charger/converter, and the battery would do best mounted inside the cabin. I suspect when our current pair of Group 31's are done (another 4 years or so), we will switch to lithium chemistry battery(ies).

'17 Ford F250 CCSB
mesamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:34am
Considering a 3 day stay at a park in California without electric hookup. How long would one battery last, assuming fridge is on propane ? Have never camped w/o electric. Can easily buy 2nd battery, just wondering if worth the expense if we rarely do this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic