r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft floor under table . Is this an issue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tent2pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft floor under table . Is this an issue?
    Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:53pm
Hello .
I am looking at a 2013 r pod 178 to purchase . It is at a dealer near me . I never owned any type of camper so I'm not real sure what all to look at when buying a used camper . I like the floor plan of the 178 .
I did notice that on this camper when the table is removed , if I step where the table mounts are on the floor it is very soft in that area . It is soft enough that I could probably put my foot thru with some force . The dealer said it is because there is no support under the floor in that spot .Is this common ? There fix is to attach a 4x8 sheet of treated plywood underneath the trailer in that area to strength it up .

Also It appears that at one time someone bumped the very bottom front corner driver side, its not bad and you really have to look at it to see it but it is there somebody put what looks like clear silicone sealant in the seal there to seal it up .

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated .
                                      Thank you ,
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
I have a 178 and as I recall there are no soft spots in the floor.  The floor width is standard thru the trailer.  A used TT is always a risk, as can be a new one.  I would investigate their fix a bit more.  As far as damage, tough call, what you don't want is a leak that caused floor damage.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
If your 178 has pedestal mounts for the table.. those are not what the camper was built with. My guess is the floor was compromised by the installation. It's a sandwich of luan and foam, with a aluminum channel framework. In an attempt to tighten down the floor mounts, I could see the floor structure being damaged. It's possible that fitting a piece of ply will in fact firm it up.

When it come to the corner damage, only someone there looking at it can give you an answer that's worth anything. 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 6:42pm
+1 to Furpod, my table sets on the floor, it doesn't mount to the floor.  It is NOT soft.  The floor is solid.  Looked at it today.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Tent2pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tent2pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:30pm
Thanks for the responds .
The salesman removed the table and I assumed it was attached to the floor somehow (my mistake) . The floor did not look modified . It was just really soft where the table sat. He removed the seat cushions and lifted the seat storage door to get a look at the front corner that was damaged from the inside .The floor under the seat was solid and showed no sign of damage . My concern is like Mcarter said of a leak from the damaged corner causing the floor problem . Like I said the damage in the corner is very slight .To look at it from 5 feet away you wouldn't see it .

Could the floor being soft be from anything other than water ?
What is the construction of the floor made of ?
                                   Thanks again for all responds.

Tent2pod
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:20am
As I said, the floor is luan/foam/luan. It's all bonded onto a aluminum frame. If there is no evidence of water damage at the edge/corner, I seriously doubt water damage in the center of the panel. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

If you like the trailer and price, the way I would fix it is to prepare a piece of 1/2 birch ply for outside exposure, after cutting and fitting to fit the area, and to overlap the aluminum framing at several points. Then fasten that to the bottom, through the framing, don't over torque. Tight is good enough. Then I would go in the "dining room area" and put down pergo. In fact I might put down pergo (or some version/competitor) throughout the whole camper. I know several Podders and many airstreamer's who have done this.

This is a section cut out of the slide wall, but the basic construction of the floor and the walls is the same.

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:54pm
+1 Again.  Chances of water damage only under table is slim.  Slim chance of delamination and might feel like soft, but wouldn't be.  Might ask them to use a hose and apply water to outer skin to see if any water is coming in.  Up to you.  I take price on trailer is good?
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:52pm
Tent2Pod,

Check out a post from a member with a 2013 178, search on "OLIQUIR", he had a leak and it delaminated the floor under table in his 178.  Missing a door seal.  Just interesting.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Tent2pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tent2pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:59am
The price isn't bad but that depends on what all is wrong with the floor . I am going to have a look at the fix they did .

Appreciate all the input ,this is a great site ,
Tent2pod
MgSteve52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MgSteve52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 9:57pm
I have a 2013 178.
The floor is soft in several locations. I removed the dinette and vinyl and found the entire floor soaked and delaminated. The Luan came out in pieces exposing the Styrofoam insulation
I have no idea what to do next. I have only removed a small portion of the rotted area and have not found any kind of aluminum frame to attach a new subfloor to.
It appears as if water is being sucked through the joint between the walls and the floor when travelling in the rain.there appear to be no lakes from above unless the shower has been leaking since day one
For the investment paid and what these cost now I would never buy another one with the poor quality of workmanship
I would be interested to see if anyone else has had this problem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic