r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table Mechanism Mods-R177 (2013)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Mechanism Mods-R177 (2013)
    Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:50am

Its quite annoying having a table that won't keep still when simply using it for dining.  Due to the multiple hinge points used in this design, rock solid stability is just not possible but I found there are some improvements that can be done fairly simply.  For a start the hinge points comprise cheap pop rivets that get sloppy very quickly when being used as bearings. I decided to drill out the 3/16" rivets to accept 5/16" x 3" through bolts.  I also adopted a steel spacer sized (1.5" long) to prevent collapse of the ear tabs on the legs.  There are a couple of pictures showing the before and after joints in question.  The picture shows steel washers as that was all I had at the time but they have now been replaced with 5/16" nylon washers. 

On another note, when I removed the table assembly to work on it, out of curiosity I weighed it and found the weight to be 32lbs.  I know I can make a table for half that weight and offset some of the weight I added with my two new internals storage cabinets.  So that may be my next pod mod.

uploads/5689/IMG_0823.JPGuploads/5689/IMG_0826.JPG

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:46am
We didn't have that style table in our 177.. I always thought when they switched to that one, it seemed more complicated and less stable then the one the earlier pods came with.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:06am
What type of table do you have?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:29am
The earlir Pods came with a table with legs that folded flat against the bottom. They had a wider stance. A popular mod was to put pockets under the storage on one side or the other, to be able to slide the table over, to make the room at the table more adjustable. I don't have a picture of just the table I don't think, I will look through some old files and see what I have.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:14pm
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:41am
That's a pretty nice looking table and slide out arrangement but I think I will make up a simple new lightweight table top using a mix of edge stiffeners/foamcore and formica laminate.  Attachment via detachable aluminum extrusion at front and a standard trailer pedestal tube for rear support.  This will eliminate the heavy parallelogram steel mechanism that actually takes up a lot of room under the table.  I am really intent on weight reduction.
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
If you look at the underside of the table you can see that most of the plywood is dadoed out, it reduced the weight by 10#
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:18pm
Nice job, well finished!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic