r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire improvment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire improvment
    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 3:44pm
Can better offroad 15 inch tires replace the smaller 14 in made in China tires?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:26pm
Yes, you could go with the Goodyear Endurance tires and of course you need a wheel change.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 1:20pm
Anything that fits under the fender will work..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 2:06pm
Our R177 Hood River edition came with M+S LT235/75R15.  I don't have good experience with these yet. 
However, I do have previous 5th wheel trailering experience and I had three separate highway tire blowouts.  On that trailer with a tandem axle setup I ended up using 15" wheels and load range "D" tires and did not experience any further issues.  Yes, particularly for a single axle trailer I would strongly recommend a good brand name tire, largest size that can be physically accommodated and high load range capacity. My local tire shop advises that many trailer tires supplied today are sub-standard.
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:04pm
Won't a larger tire make the hitch higher or trailer unlevel?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:10pm
A larger wheel and tire will have a very minimal effect on axle height.  The wheel and tire will have a larger diameter, but not more than an inch or so.  The height of the tongue is determined by the trailer jack and the ball height when hooked up.  No issues with larger wheels and tires provided they fit and have clearance.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:06pm
Fast forward...I am thinking again about replacing the made in China 14in tires. Rpod has axel risers making the gap between the tire and fender bigger. What will happen if I replace those tires and rims with 15in ones? And should I go with "D" load range?Should they be M&S? And is Goodyear Endurance a good idea? The made in China tires are starting to crack, I just had to put air in them, and I want something I can trust...
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:23pm
Oliver,

My 2015 178 has risers.  I have updated to Carlisle 14" D rated, very happy.  Everything I have heard about Goodyears is good.  I have not considered a 15" upgrade as the 14 D rates work fine.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 11:12am
You can of course, just get 14" goodyear endurance tires. I do recommend going to a D rated tire, but not E.

ALSO... make SURE whoever mounts them, balances them. For whatever reason, tire shops very rarely balance "trailer tires"..

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:08pm
What about greasing the hubs while I'm at it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic